chapter eleven

Warnings: Potential Triggering Themes;
Mentions of Abuse

Arizella Carter

My heart pounding in my ears, eyes averting to anything other than those blue eyes glaring through me. The tips of his ears are red, eyes flickering with an emotion I can't quite put my finger on.

Five footsteps, and he was towering over me. His chest was heaving, and my heart plummeted out of my ass at the sudden tension between us.

Finding the comforter on my bed more fascinating, I hoped that if I ignored him long enough he would just leave.

What was he even doing here, to begin with?

What gives him any right?

I shouldn't be hanging out with Pogues— Cutting my thoughts off, I suck a deep inhale. My mother's voice became my own after one of her... sessions.

Thoughts I can't even trust, because I don't truly feel that way. I'm not the type to judge people based on where they come from, what's inside is what counts. JJ's insides are rotten, a tiny voice whispers.

I flinch when JJ's hand comes into view, which instantly makes him freeze. Slowly he lowers his hand down again, and now I'm meeting his gaze.

"Arizella..." There's an emotion to his voice I've never heard before, one I'm unfamiliar with. It almost sounds like... Sadness.

I had to turn my head away again because the last thing I wanted was for someone like JJ Maybank to feel bad for me. The last thing I'd ever want was to be pitied.

Just as I go to look away, his hand captures my chin and a soft gasp falls from my lips. "Arizella," He repeats turning my head so that I'm looking up into his eyes again.

"What does she do to you?" The question knocks the wind from my lungs, I'm at a loss for words. My brain can't come up with an answer and I'm pleading for him to back away.

But he doesn't.

"What does she do to you, Arizella?" He repeats, but this time with more intensity. His nostrils are flaring, almost like he trying to keep himself calm.

"I... I don't know what you mean, JJ."

His hand drops from my chin. "Don't do that," He shakes his head. "Don't play dumb, okay? You don't need to, not with me."

My mouth is left agape, eyes wide. JJ Maybank looks... sincere. Genuine. If I wasn't mistaken, I'd almost say he cares.

"Does she... Ari, does Paris hit you?"

As his words sink into my skin, I blink twice before the weight of his words hit me. Ironic.

Anger washes through me like a tsunami, one moment I'm calm and the next I'm vibrating with anger because how could he even assume that? How could he think that low of my mother?

Because she's a Kook?

Because she sets high expectations?

How dare he?

"Why the fuck would you even ask me— What? No! No, she doesn't fucking hit me!" He steps back at the tone of my voice, clearly taken by surprise.