Chapter 2

A/N: I apologize for the late update. School started up again and to make matters worse... I got sick. I'm doing better now though. Not 100% yet but I was glad that I was at least able to write this up. I wanted to write chapter 2 so bad because it's 10 times better than doing schoolwork.

~~~~

"Hush your mouths as Captain George Stacy leads the manhunt for Spider-Woman!" came the voice of J. Jonah Jameson over the news. "Who is she? And why won't she show her face?"

Gwen continued to walk sullenly along the sidewalk, the crowds of people weaving around her. "Peter Parker, an innocent young man--"

"I've known May and Ben Parker for twelve years," Captain Stacy said. "Peter Parker ate at my table. He was my daughter's best friend, and I will not rest until I find this Spider-Woman."

Gwen climbed up the fire escape and to the window of her home. Inside, her father was tidying up the kitchen and washing the dishes. She pushed the window open and stepped inside, getting stopped by her father before she could enter her room.

"Oh! Hey, hey, hey, hey," her father said, turning around to face her. "How's the band?"

Without turning to look at him, Gwen replied, "Uhh... Uh, yeah, great. Uh, I quit, so... you know... Thumbs up."

She then quickly opened the door to her room and strolled right in. Her father glanced at the ground before returning and walking over to her room.

"We, uh... caught a break in the Spider-Woman case," he said, making Gwen stop in her tracks.

"Oh..." She replied, putting her stuff down. "That's... good."

"We're close," he continued. "I'm telling ya, I can feel it."

Gwen sighed and tossed her bag into a corner, turning her attention to her closet and looking through it. "Me too..."

"It'll be good for us."

"Don't be so sure," Gwen replied in a quiet voice.

"She killed your friend," he said in a stern voice.

"You don't know that...!"

"What do you mean 'I don't know that'? I do know that," he replied. "I was there. She ran from the scene--"

"Maybe she didn't have a choice," Gwen interrupted.

"I've got a job to do, Gwen--"

"It won't bring him back!"

Silence fell over them. Her father placed his hand on the top of her bookshelf and looked at it for a moment. "I... I don't wanna argue about this. Okay?"

"Yeah..." Gwen replied as she stuffed some of her clothes into her bag. "I can tell."

Again, there was silence. He continued to mess with the surface of her shelf before he spoke up again. "Say, uh... Too punk rock to give your old man a hug--?"

Before he could even finish that sentence, Gwen had engulfed him in a hug. It took him a second but he returned her hug. While her father looked happy by this, Gwen had a sullen look on her face.

"All units, possible superhuman event," came a voice over the walkie-talkie, making the two pull away from the hug. "Guggenheim Museum, suspect is Adrian Toomes...--"

"Oh, hey, this could be it," her father said.

"--also known as the Vulture--"

"So... I, uh... I'll see you later?"