Chapter 20

Copyright 2023 Elizabeth Frerichs

Crossposted on elizabethfrerichs.com and fanfiction.net

*****

"Miss Rose!" Thomas snapped. "You must control your emotions. Your magic is too strong. If you don't calm down, you will injure one of us!"

Rosie's eyes flicked over to the mirror. The sand-filled waterspout had clearly reached the ocean floor. A large conch shell flew past them, just missing Waterdancer, and joined the wild whirl. She burrowed her face back into Robert's chest and slowed her gills, allowing the safety of his arms to remind her that she wasn't alone. Maybe she didn't know how to fix things right now, but for the first time in years, she wasn't alone. And if she could find the right witch, Grandma Essie and Aunt Rina would be around to help her.

"That's right," Robert said, rubbing a hand on her back. "You're doing great. Just keep breathing. I'm right here, and so are Thomas and Waterdancer."

The seahorse whinnied anxiously, and Rosie couldn't tell if it was because Robert had said his name or because of his proximity to the waterspout.

She slowed her gills even further, imagining the waterspout dissipating like a handful of sand thrown into an ocean current. It was going to be ok. If nothing else, she could always go live somewhere in the forest like Grandma Essie had done. Maybe a little cottage with a guest room for Robert and a spot for Waterdancer outside. They could visit her, and she'd be safe from her mother's wrath and the townspeople's prying eyes. She and Robert could rest. Free from the pain of their pasts. A swell of longing filled her chest.

Somehow, in the past three days, Robert had become a dear friend, and she didn't want to simply say goodbye at the end of this. At least helping his father would take some time. And if it worked—it would be glorious to be able to help him as much as he had helped her.

Rosie peeked over Robert's arm. A faint haze stained the water, but that was all that remained of the waterspout.

Thomas breathed a sigh of relief. "Excellent work, Miss Rose."

"I—thank you. I'm just sorry that I caused so much trouble." She leaned against Robert, feeling suddenly drained. Twenty minutes ago, she had been more hopeful than in years. Now, she just wanted to curl up in bed and stay there.

"Robert, please get Miss Rose something to eat," Thomas instructed.

Robert gently transferred Rosie to Waterdancer, and then held out his hand for the enchanted bag.

Rosie gave it to him. "I don't know if it will even work for you," she said tiredly. "Maybe it only works for me because of—of magic."

"Well, it can't hurt to try."

"I believe Madam Essie designed that bag for Lady Mariya to use—I doubt it requires magic to work," Thomas said.

Fortunately, he was correct, and Robert was able to find what they needed. Quickly, he found Rosie a reef apple and handed it to her.

Rosie could barely force herself to eat, but the effort was worth it; she felt much better afterwards.

Robert watched her as she ate. "You look less pale," he remarked.

"I feel less pale."

Thomas eyed her. "If you are feeling well enough, we should continue our previous discussion, as it has bearing on what we should do next."

Rosie nodded reluctantly, The restoration of her physical strength had helped slightly with her emotional state, but the thought of her mother keeping such a huge secret, such a huge part of who she was, from her was an ache that gnawed at the back of her mind. Not to mention that the enemy was now within her.