Episode 3: The Region's Dynamic

It was yet another day at the Citadel. And for once, it wasn't snowy nor windy, which made the inhabitants of the Citadel enjoy the warmth of the sun, with a handful of workers smiling with their face being warmed by the gentle light. The guards Saber and Dagger were posted at the main gate, idly chatting whenever there was a dull moment, which happened quite a lot in this remote location. Meanwhile, Spear could be seen in front of the keep, applying a fresh coat of paint on the main door with a focused gaze that belied her passion while her every strokes had a meaning. On the other side of the Citadel, Axe was busy overseeing militiamen as they practiced sword fighting, his massive arms crossed on his chest were enough to instil discipline. When the snow was absent from the sky, Nolern would enjoy a slow day.

Leaning against the stony wall, Dagger covered his mouth as he silently hid a yawn, despite wearing a helmet. Saber stared at his best friend, looking unbothered by the laid back attitude. Having just defeated yet another attack from Roderic's group, it meant that no other threat would arrive for the day. The few footprints in the snow before them was hint on how swift and clean the guards had repelled the attackers. The steps were well paced, as if they had partook in a dance of blades that left no blood stains, only blunt injuries on the Count's men.

"Hey, Dagger. I've been wondering about something," Saber started while cleaning his blade with some cloth.

Dagger turned his head with yet another yawn. "Sure, what is it this time? You aren't going to ask if we're the baddies, right?" he joked before glancing at the skull painted on the gate they were guarding.

The swordsman shook his head, making his helmet rustle slightly. "We're henchmen, right?" Saber asked, stopping his cleaning to let the blade gleam in the sunlight.

Despite the skull-shaped visor, Saber could see Dagger's eyebrow raising. "Yeah?" the sarcastic guard replied with growing curiosity.

"Well, when was the last time we did some henchmen things? We've been assigned to gatekeeping for three years now," Saber stated, showing three gloved fingers to his friend.

Dagger pushed himself off the wall to stand up straight. With a groan, he stretched his back before replying to his colleague with genuine surprise in his voice. "Already three years? Damn, we didn't even get a raise," Dagger joked, though he wouldn't mind getting a bit more money to spend on good food. "Well, shouldn't 'guarding the entrance of the lair' count as a henchman thing? I mean, we're looking imposing and we're defeating the Hero's party on the regular. That's pretty evil in my book."

The pensive guard Saber let out a quiet sigh with his head hanging low. "I know... and I shouldn't complain. I joined the Dark Lord when my hometown was plagued by famine," Saber admitted, remembering his younger days. "Having a roof and food was my top priority back then."

The sarcastic Dagger raised his arms with a shrug. "Job security, am I right?" he joked before his shoulders slumped with defeat. "But I feel you. I came here for the thrill of danger, which I usually get when Roderic shows up. But let's be honest, we're way too strong for this guy to handle. And we're holding back too... Unless he gets some guys with outstanding skills, we'll be seeing him until we retire."

The two guards silently looked at the horizon, a cold breeze making the banner flap gently against the imposing towers. The scenery was serene as the nature was quietly standing proud while being covered by a layer of eternal snow. There were the slight rustles of mountain critters, the smoke of chimneys from a nearby village, and the distant sound of a river hidden between mountains. The usual buzz of an active town could be heard from over the walls that separated the Citadel from the outside world. Nolern's life was both harsh and peaceful, a state of permanent stagnation that reflected the eternal snow of the mountains.