Crown of Thorns

A young boy, clothed in black, tears tracks on his cheeks. His mother, her round belly stretching her black dress, tried as hard as she could to stay strong. She had to take care of her son and daughters on her own now, after all.

The boy sniffled, looking up at his mother.

"Mother, why do bad things happen to good people?" he quietly asked, the rain slowly but surely replacing his tears. The woman sighed, shaking her head. No one was able to answer such a question, though it was too common to be a coincidence.

"I don't know, dear. But there's one thing I'm certain of, such a wonderful king, father and husband as he was went too soon."

He looked down, this was a hard time for all of the kingdom, his father had been a loved and respected man and now he was just gone.

"Louis, can you promise me something?" the woman asked, causing the boy to look up and nod. He would never disappoint his mother, he'd rather die right now. He was brought up having respect for her, serving her and see her and other women as equals, though not everyone agreed with that. Louis looked up to his mother, she was his role model and was convinced that there was no woman in the world so strong and brave as she.

"Promise me you won't die young as your father did. All of the United Kingdom counts on you now, darling. Finding love isn't as important as fulfilling your duties, do you promise me you will fulfill your duties, no matter what it takes?"

"Yes, mother. I promise."

That was probably the moment that young prince Louis' heart turned to stone.