001

Life was never only scented roses and moonshine, everyone knew that. You tried your best for something, gave it everything you had and what did you get in return? Nothing, that's right. The human race was horrible, it was as simple as that. It was even worse if you wandered around this damned planet longer than was normal for a human because you couldn't find you damn soulmate.

Oh well, there were also good sides to living on this blue orb. And as long as you were friendly towards others, it wasn't that bad. That's what Harry thought about it and he always had done. He was lucky that he truly just walked around for twenty one years, but he knew people that were here for centuries. None of them seemed truly happy to him. 

"Harry, did you just bite  your ice?" Harry looked up with wide eyes, not expecting the voice, but he sighed when he saw to whom it belonged. Niall, his best friend since elementary school. He hadn't found his soulmate either and they made an agreement to never look for them, they had enough as long as they had each other. 

"Yeah, why? Something wrong with that?" he answered with a raised eyebrow, before he sank his teeth once again in the popsicle. He couldn't help but grin as he saw Niall shiver. It wouldn't be the first time he did something without knowing it and annoyed someone to death, so he happily did it again. Harry looked expectantly at his best friend, who stared back, disgusted.

"You're an evil person, Styles. Evil." Harry simply shrugged, almost as if to confirm it. He didn't care that much what his best friend thought right now. The last few days had exhausted him, because holidays didn't mean he could take it easy. Besides that it was twenty six degrees at the moment, also known as the purgatory of hell, like Niall always said so poetically. Throw in a job in an already warm bakery, but where the air conditioning died and you had the recipe for exhaustion and frustration.

Harry had told himself to work all summer, it would hopefully be a little easier to pay the bills and just maybe he could go on a short vacation around Christmas. He frowned and stared into the distance, the wall they sat on suddenly didn't sit as well anymore. A restless feeling creeped up on him and he chewed his lip. Harry could sit still for hours if he wanted to,but he just needed to do something.

He only snapped out of his thoughts when a little bit of melting ice touched his hand and Niall waved in front of his face.

"Hm? Oh, sorry, I'm just not really into it today," Harry apologized quickly and licked the sticky stuff off of his hand.

"That happens a lot lately, doesn't it? Come on, get moving, we still have to go by the store." Niall hopped off the wall and looked at Harry with his head slightly tilted, Harry knew that look, but he wasn't fast enough to prevent his ice from getting stolen. He wouldn't even ask why anymore, he'd probably get an snwer like 'it was sad to see it melt like that, I saved it from it's suffering,' or something stupid like that. He rolled his eyes, knowing it wouldn't make sense to try and get it back and it was way too had to chase the other lad.

Slowly, Harry lowered himself from the wall and put his sunglasses back on, because if he got a headache with this weather he better started digging his own grave right this moment. Not all too fast the two made their way towards Tesco, though Harry was slightly bitter because of the ice which Niall enjoyed too much for Harry's likings.

"Hey Niall, you know what?"

"What?"

"Fuck you." It was a beautiful friendship they had, Harry thought.

----

A/N:

So, first real chapter! It's still pretty bad, but I'll try to improve. Any thoughts on this?