Chapter Sixteen

"I said..." I turned to him, giving him a stern glare. "You aren't going to hurt anyone." He smiled. He loved seeing my trained, dangerous side that he had helped build years and years ago, surface again. "What do you want from me?"

"Let's talk deals," Ramone purred at my sudden alliance.

__________

"Before we get into it, Michael, go get fixed up. Your shoulder will need stitches," he said, waving him off as he stayed comfortable in the seat across from me.

"I'm fine. I've had worse," Micheal argued.

"It wasn't a question. Go," he commanded.

Michael bit his tongue and begrudgingly started his way to the door. Only about 5 feet from the double doors leading out into the hallway I had come from, he stopped with one foot forward.

"What are you waiting for?" Bella stared at him, confused and growing further annoyed.

"Shut up," Michael shouted in a whisper, bringing his finger to his lips and nodding his head toward the corridor.

Carefully and quickly, he broadened his stride and tuned into what was holding his attention on the other side. I arched an eyebrow at the odd behavior, but the hair on my arms started to stand. Something wasn't right, and Michael confirmed it by turning and looking back at his father wide-eyed.

"Bella, artillery," Ramone voiced in a hushed order, standing and buttoning his jacket as he pushed a button on the end table that exposed a secret compartment. "What did you do?" he angrily shot a pointed look at me. Anyone in their right mind wouldn't want to be under that stare.

"How the hell could I have done anything? I was drug, handcuffed, and brought here against my will. I didn't really have the time to plan anything out," I lied, seeing I was safest if I played along their side until I learned who we were going up against for sure.

I hoped it was back up, but I know from prior knowledge that with enemies like theirs, it was Russian roulette at what could be coming through those doors.

Ramone shot me a look that felt like millions of daggers piercing through my skin. I instinctively caved into myself from it. Not a lot could intimidate me, but Ramone DeLuca was one of the few that made up that list.

Shortly after, I felt Michael harshly grab my forearm and saw him loading his gun with his bad arm. He was only slightly clumsy, as I'm sure this wasn't the first time he was injured and had to load a weapon in a hurry. He started pulling me to the door on the opposite side of the room where everyone else was headed.

"Ow. I'm going freely, OK? You don't have to pull so hard," I wiggled, elbowing him in the good arm.

"Don't think you're getting a jump on me a second time, Angel. That was a one-time thing," Michael grunted as his arm ached from where he had shifted it without considering the injury.

The way he talked just brought back memories of him bossing me around and feeling like he had the final say in everything I did when we started getting closer and dating. It was protective at first but quickly became possessive.

It felt as though if they did manage to escape, then Michael would have me on a tight leash, especially since I wouldn't be immediately trusted. And that kind of shadow was the last thing I needed or wanted in this situation.

"You two go down that hall," Ramone instructed us. "Bella and I will go a different route," Ramone said, motioning to the exits. "Be smart and get out safe. You know the drill," Ramone demanded.

Bella and Michael nodded, and Ramone and Bella started their getaway.

Michael walked us over to a secret panel in the wall and started pushing along it. Definitely looking for a hidden button or key.