Chapter 15

Day 117

It's been too damn long since I've seen Benji. Lucas and I are set for interviews at twelve, I'm not sure when Benji is. He must be going through patchy service because he hasn't responded to my texts yet. It's eleven now, Lucas and I arrived an hour ago, and to our surprise, a team of people came to help load off my bike and greeted me, showing me around. I let them lead me around, lifting my cap to scratch my head, though I wanted to wait at the start of the road looking for Benji's little blue truck.
I readjust my flat cap and focus back in on what my guide is telling me.
It's a very steep terrain we're looking at, dense trees with slippery granite and piles of leaves at every turn. All that's on my mind are the dark storm clouds brooding above. He points to a tall climb that makes me gulp and shows me on a map the route that leads behind it. I can only imagine the little red flags that I'll be flicking past.
My stomach churns. My knee calls to mind.
I can't afford a crash.
Is this really a good idea?
My guide continues to show me around, helping me to, showing me the amenities, the bar, before moving me to the interviewing station. I look back to the road.
Is Benji okay? I haven't heard from him yet.
Twelve slides around and I'm sat in a chair and mic'd up. Lucas is just beyond the camera. We share a look.
Nothing was shared on the drive up here, he didn't say and I didn't ask.
He smirks and I laugh with a roll of the eyes. We both shake our heads laughing and he turns around and goes for a little stroll.
"Mind if we start?"
I look to the interviewer. I nod with a smile.

"Hi, I'm Riley Smith, number eleven, I came... first last race, though it was... a little turbulent, haha."
"I'm excited to race, I'm on a new special edition three hundred CC two stroke, rest in peace Pinkie, she lives on in my heart and shed, but today I have Pearl, a.k.a Pinkie Jr."
"Yeah, I am a little nervous actually, my knee isn't very happy... but... Well, my mum said the other day that even though I really want to, I shouldn't worry about winning. And I love my mum so I'm going to listen to her."
"Oh, and dad? Yeah dad said I should ping it."
"Oh, haha. Well, thank you. Okay. I'll see you guys on the track."

When I'm freed from the cables, I leave the set and walk out, only to see Benji walk in. I sigh. He hasn't died.
He doesn't see me and he's mic'd up as my team walks me out, preparing me for correct protocol.
Though my heart hurts, I tell myself I'll catch him after.

Later in the afternoon my team prepares me to do a signing. I'm a little shocked at the fact. Me? A signing? But, I don't argue, instead I sit down and stared back at the smiley, hollering faces back at me. I guess it is pretty cool, and my heart flutters. I laugh and wave with both hands to everyone.
They line up for me to sign their gear and it makes me feel happy but a little shy to know that all these people are not only excited to see me, but are all rooting for me.
Most faces are unfamiliar but then a couple come through that I definitely recognise.
"Tyler!", I happily call, standing up to give my boss a hug.
"Aw, good ol' dorbsie, we've missed ye' at the shop we have kiddo."
Unexpectedly Richie the mechanic comes out from behind Tyler's back and wraps me up in a hug too, "Damn right we've missed you, new guys stinks like ass."
I laugh and hug them back, "You guys didn't have to line up, you should've texted me!"
They brushed me off, saying they were happy to line up.
"We're excited to see ye' race, apparently you're a beast."
Again, he doesn't watch me race?
"Don't worry Riley, I watch you.", Richie laughs, giving Tyler a light wack on his neck.
"Oh, aye, ofcourse!", Tyler awkwardly laughs.
I shake my head laughing before cooing and hugging them both again, "I'll see you guys later?"
"Aye ofcourse kiddo!"

Later I also see that dude that always came in for one socket at a time.
"Oh hey! I remember you. How have you been?", I ask, smiling at him as I take his helmet and a copy of his riders poster.
He awkwardly laughs, "I'm good... I've been watching your races."
I smile and give him a thanks, but he continues to look at me. I clear my throat, glance to the side before looking down to finish his signing, "That's so nice of you..."
"Yeah...", he murmurs, before taking his signed item, "This is going above my bed.", he tries to joke.
I choke a laugh, and instant regret floods his face.
Bless his heart.
"...Well- that's... Can't wait to watch you race!",
I try to smile at him with some comfort, but he disappears like lightning, I just shake my head and greet the next person.
It takes longer than I'd expect to finish the signings, and I'm itching to jump out of my seat and track down my favourite person, but every time I look up there's more people.
After a while I give up and resolve to leave when I'm asked to. Helmet after helmet, poster after poster, I greet and sign until the last one is put down, a large tan hand attached to it. I get a kiss on my forehead. I look up.
I sigh.
Clouds surround his head like a halo, his tall stature like a renaissance statue beneath the heavens above. His eyes are soft and my breath escapes me.
"Oh I've missed you.", he breathes.
I finally stand from my seat and Benji circles the desk to wrap me up. He twirls me around and I laugh, holding him tight.
He doesn't let me down, but instead carries me away with his arms encircled tightly around my waist. I wave my team goodbye who look a little short on ideas.
Benji pulls me behind a trailer and right when I think he's about to kiss me, he falls to the ground and rocks me around in a tight hug, I burst into laughter.
"What are you doing?!", I squeal, unable to move as he wraps his legs around me wriggles us around. He makes us both laugh and I begin to run out of breath.
Right when I think I won't be able to breathe, he stops and pulls me to his lips, giving me a big ol' smooch.
I'm still laughing, so is he. We laugh against eachother's lips.
He's quiet for a moment, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear before taking my cap off my head, putting it on his.
"Bit tight?", I laugh and flop my chin on his sternum. Oh boy does he look like an angel or what.
He sits us up, me sideways across his lap and lifts the hat to kiss me again.
He pulls back and grins.
"I want to show you something."