CHAPTER 4

I hoped Hayden would forget about it when I said, "Oh it's nothing," but he sighed instead.

"Were you planning to attempt taking your life there?" I was unable to swallow this lump of words as soon as I heard them. I shook my head slightly, refusing to accept the fact.

I questioned Hayden's ability to read minds. I prompted the last of my remaining bravery and questioned, "How do you know though?"

He didn't say anything, preferring to prepare a response. Even though I don't think much thought is required, I came up with my own speculations and a variety of answers that Hayden would probably provide. But he chose a very different response as the one.

"Let's just say I went to that location for the same reason as you did , a few years ago, but I saw the light of my life and you saw the collapsed bodies," he said.

Humbly, I answered, "I'm really sorry but I hope you are better now" since I was more surprised by how open he was than I was uncomfortable.

Despite hearing me, he remained silent. He got out of the car to open the door for me and said, "And here we are, I guess that's your building" to deflect the conversation.

He insisted that he walked me till the elevator. Silence followed our walk towards it. I was staring at him but he didn't seem to catch my view.As soon as I reached, I pushed the elevator button and said, "I'll take it from here" .

"I know you will but you're my responsibility" A huge smile appeared on my face as Hayden said it while he had flushed cheeks and his hands crossed back behind his suit

"Take care Veronica. See you tomorrow"

"You too , sadly I won't be there to ensure my responsibilities but- I hope you do" as the elevator door closed. But his voice still made it , "I will".

A few seconds later , I couldn't comprehend but just say ,

I got into my empty house , no one to greet,
Hoping that now my family would come to meet.

But their absence has pierced my heart ,
I'm a long wanderer, torn apart.