3 | like I always do

𝘼𝙪𝙜𝙪𝙨𝙩
--------
Funeral - Phoebe Bridgers
"I'm so blue all the time"
--------------------------------------------------------

"A simple ask for help doesn't involve much talking, maybe take it into consideration next time." she left, leaving the back door open.

Why do I keep letting Logan invite random chicks to my house?

I probably deserved that. I was an asshole to her yesterday.

What was I supposed to do? Act cool as a fucking cucumber on my dad's death anniversary?

You would think it gets easier each year, but it doesn't. Not for me. I feel myself forgetting him more and more each year. The past few years on that day I always shut myself out. Never talked to anyone or left my room.

Yesterday was a change. It wasn't easier but I handled it better than I ever have.

And I still managed to be an asshole.

I take the two remaining bags and go outside to see everyone already in the pool.

Besides Ivy who's eating the chips I bought while laughing at Finn and Daniel fooling around. I walk over to the table Ivy's sitting at and set down the two bags. Hearing the bags, she looks towards me for a second and turns her attention back to everyone in the pool.

"Hey August, you're back! Jump in!" Daniel says, smiling from ear to ear. What's got him so excited?

"I will, let me get changed really quick." I respond heading back inside.

I go up the stairs into my room and find some swimming shorts to change into. I take my shirt off and head back downstairs and into the kitchen because I realized I never brought out water bottles.

I get there and open the refrigerator when I hear a noise behind me. I look back not taking my hands off the fridge door and I see Ivy and Logan walk in.

"Hey, Ivy was just looking for some water," Logan tells me.

I reached into the refrigerator to grab a water bottle and set it on the island behind me and slid it over to the other side where Ivy was standing. She caught it before it slipped off the island and mumbled a quick "thanks" before turning around and leaving the kitchen.

I look back towards the refrigerator and grab more water bottles to bring out.

"What do you think about them?" Logan asks me.

I look at him confused. Was I supposed to have an opinion on them? Because I really don't.

"Not much, just confused why you just decided to invite them over when we met them yesterday" I look at him.

He looks back at me a little guilty "Yeah sorry dude I just thought some company would be nice, and they seem like good people August" he sounded way too serious for his own good.

"Yeah, whatever just help me take these out."

We grabbed the water bottles and headed out to spend the rest of the day in our pool with these girls we don't even know.

How fun.

The next few hours were spent with everyone fooling around in the pool having random conversations and calling it "getting to know each other".

I avoided Ivy at all costs. If I said another word to her I would come off as even more of an asshole and I've done enough of that already.

I can't lie and say she isn't pretty, because she is. She's fucking beautiful.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that she clearly dislikes me, for obvious reasons. It's best if I steer clear.

Now we're all out of the pool and have been standing around talking. Well, they have. I didn't feel the need to say much.

"So are we still down for the boardwalk in an hour or so, I'm ready to show off these skills" Finn grins, kissing his biceps.

The girls laugh and Logan replies "Yeah okay Finnigan we'll see about that when I beat your ass in every game."

Finn sticks his tongue out like a little kid.

"Aspen's usually the best at those things." Faye tells us.

"Faye and Aspen both are, I suck at literally everything." Ivy laughs. Her fucking laugh.

I need to get out of my head.

They continue to talk about the boardwalk games, and I just can't ignore how every time Ivy talks it's so intriguing.

Why is she so interesting?

No August. Steer clear.

"We should head back to the hotel to get dressed and everything, but how about we meet at the boardwalk in an hour?" Aspen says as their conversation dies down.

"Sounds good to me." Daniel smiles at her. Okay buddy.

We all agree and walk the girls out to the front. "Thanks for letting us come by the way, that was kind of you guys" Ivy smiles at us.

"You should thank August, it's really his beach house and it's rare that he lets people come over" Logan says as an indirect apology to me.

It's true, I don't let anyone but the boys come over. But I didn't mind this.

"That's no problem." I simply respond. I look at Ivy as she stares back, the eye contact is broken when Faye says "We should get going, see you guys soon."

They walk back towards their car, and we head back inside.

"They're fun, I like them." Finn grins

"You like everyone that's human" I snicker. Finn is one of the nicest people I know. Sometimes he's a little too nice.

"August, I need you to stop being all mr grumpy quiet guy. We actually want to be friends with them, they're nice. Let down your guard for once." Daniel tells me seriously.

"Oh sorry I don't trust everyone that I meet in one day. Maybe you guys need to be more careful instead of getting attached this quickly." I say maybe a little to harshly. I leave them standing and head upstairs to my room.

I lay on my bed straight on my back and close my eyes and take a deep breath. Let down your guard for once.

I can't ruin this for the boys. Not like I always do.

---

a shorter one but I did August's perspective!! he's definitely going to have some character development but for now you get to deal with "mr grumpy quiet guy" LOL. I promise he has his reasons. thanks for reading :)