1: 05

CAMELOT - MANY YEARS AGO

Wind whistled and a whoosh sounded.

"Dark One?" Merlin called. "Dark One!" A whoosh sounded. "Enough! I command you to stop! You destroyed her. The only woman I ever loved. And now... I will destroy you." Merlin paused, unable to plunge the knife into the Dark One. The Dark One used magic to force Merlin to the ground. "My god." He sobbed. "I miss her." He breathed heavily. The Dark One captured Merlin's tear on the dagger. Merlin turned into a tree. A crackling sounded and birds chirped.

CAMELOT - SIX WEEKS AGO - MERLIN'S TREE

Indiana was looking at Merlin's memories with a dream catcher.

REGINA'S ROOM

Regina sighed. "You really think giving the dagger to Arthur is the best way to help Jackie?"

"We trust him," Mary Margaret said.

"Implicitly," David added.

"Did you learn those big words at shepherd school?" Regina shot back. "How do you know you can trust him?"

"Because we're good judges of character. And we would never act against Indy's best interest."

"Is the dagger in there?" Mary Margaret questioned.

Regina pulled the dagger from a tree stump and sighed as Sean said, "Are you sure handing the one thing that can control my sister over to Arthur is the right thing to do?"

"Have you lost the power of comprehension? Hand over the da..." A whoosh sounded as Indiana froze her friend's parents with magic.

"What are you doing?" Regina asked. "When did you get so liberal with dark magic?"

"No choice," Indiana replied. "Arthur has them under some kind of spell. He wants them to bring him the dagger. He wants to reunite it with Excalibur."

"Unite it?"

"It was once one blade. It was broken in half a long, long time ago."

"What happens when they're together?"

"He wants to kill Merlin with it. I don't have to tell you how bad that would be for all of us."

"How do you know this? How do I know this isn't the darkness in you rearing its head?"

"It's true. We don't have a lot of time. Arthur's expecting them soon."

"He's the king. So you want to take on all of Camelot?"

"I want to free Merlin first. Then I can help Emma's parents and stop Arthur."

"That's a great plan, but we have no idea how to get him out of the tree."

"You already said it... Dark magic."

"No. You can't keep using it."

"It's a risk I'm willing to take."

"Careful, Indy. I've been on that slippery slope. You know where it got me."

"All due respect... I'm not you." A whoosh sounded.

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT - JAIL

"So he just... vanished?" Hook asked.

"Could it be magic?" Robin Hood replied. "Uh, your squire... did he wield such power?"

"Not that I ever saw," King Arthur said.

"Well, there's no sign of tampering," David noted.

"Then he must have lied about having the bean. Must've hidden it on his person somewhere and used it to escape."