VIII

Secondary School III
    Precious' Pov
      " Hi Daniel, what are you doing?" I texted.
       " Nothing. Texting." was his reply.
     Since I got into SS3 I have been able to sneak out of the house more on the pretext of preparing for my O'level exams with my friends. The lie seemed more believable since my best friend Lola was also a family friend. I was currently using her phone to chat with Daniel since I only had a phone in my dreams.
       " There is something important that I need to tell you about." I texted back.
       "What is it?" he replied. I could see him sitting up.
    I took a deep breath. This was finally the time to tell Daniel how I felt about him.
     "Daniel,the truth is that I like you. I really really REALLY like you." I texted in a rush without taking a breath.
       There was a moment where I thought the world had stopped moving. For so long there was no sign of him typing. I was about to tell him that it was all a joke when he texted back.
     "Really? I'm sorry I didn't text back immediately. I was frozen for a sec. But I like you too. I really really REALLY do."
     " Eeeeee." I couldn't help but scream. I felt so happy and giddy that I felt like I had died and gone to heaven. I felt so happy but I was still a little bit annoyed that he had made me say it first and with myself for not telling him a long time ago.
    "I love you." I texted.
    "I know." He texted back.
                 *******
                                   Daniel's pov
      I was still thinking of my chat with Precious when I got to school the next day. I couldn't do it. I couldn't.
      " Dude, what's wrong?" Joel asked curiously. He was directly in front of me and I hadn't noticed when he got there.
     I had told Precious that I liked her too but I wasn't so sure. When I saw her text my brain froze. At first I couldn't even think of anything. And then all the thoughts came rushing in at once. I kept on remembering how I have been taunted for being a loner and how I would feel normal like everyone else if I was in a relationship.
     " Nothing is wrong." I replied shaking my head to dismiss my thoughts."Why?"
    "Because I have been trying to get your attention for two minutes now. Dude, come on. Talk to me."
   Looking at Joel, I felt inclined to say something. We have become close over the years and truthfully carrying everything alone was very tiring.
     "I told Precious that I liked her."
   " What did she say?"
    " She likes me too."
    " Dude that's great. Wait, why do you look  so scared?"
     That was the problem. I was scared. I didn't even know if I liked her or not. I just let my impulsive feelings win. I'm scared of forming relationships. Relationships requires care, openness and attention.  I was  just learning how to maintain a friendship again and being open to anyone scared the shit out of me. Thinking of starting a deeper relationship completely made my brain shut down.
   " You won't get it."