History Repeats

You groaned, not for the first time today in your lesson on (Major). This teacher was the most boring teacher you've had in a very long time (that one 6th grade teacher was still first place, for she had talked about the same thing over and over again that you knew exactly what she was going to say next), and on top of that, he was old, so his movements were painfully slow.
His explanations were long, exaggerated, and had unnecessary details. You couldn't wait until spring break, which, was only a week away, but it seemed like an eternity. As soon as class ended, everyone but one student grabbed their bags and dashed out of the room. When you reached the door, you heard the student and professor talking. And although you knew that it was bad to eavesdrop, you stayed to listen.
It could be something about what Curtain's crooks are going to do. you thought hopefully, and also hoped that you didn't eavesdrop on anything personal.
You had to strain your ears, but was able to make out the rest of the conversation.
"Yes, the improvement is very near, Ju-"
  "Jessica,"
"Jessica. But still, by June we should be able to control everyone's bank accounts (earnings and whatnot), what they buy and make them to buy things that are good for them!"
  "That's amazing, Professor." She smiled and nodded.
"And with the bad guys that go against us, we'll be able to use their money towards the funding of this institute. But that's all I can tell you, and if all goes according to plan, the improvement might just be closer than ever!" He lifted his hands and moved around with great speed, which made you gasp.
Suddenly, you felt someone pull you away. When you turned to him, you blushed.
What an inappropriate time to think about romances. you thought and internally slapped yourself.
"We can't talk for long here," he said, glancing both ways in the corridor, "but I'm pretty sure that the 'improvement' is not good at all. It's like what Mr. Curtain had tried years ago at the institute L.I.V.E., except then it was mind-control, to a certain degree, now this new 'improvement' is also control, just less mental, and more financial."
You nodded in agreement. After all, what kind of "good guys" hack into other's bank accounts, restrict them on how and when to use their money, and take the life savings of hard-working individuals to fund this school—which you had to admit, there was nothing great about it, and you assumed that there might be some brainwashing hidden in the lessons—all without their permission?
"Can I come over to take about this with all of you?" you asked, also checking the corridor momentarily.
"I was about to ask you, and could you please keep an eye on Professor Evans? He seems to be the only one that I've caught that knows about the school's funding. I've gotta go now."
He waved good-bye, and you waved back as you grumpily contemplated how many flights of stairs it would take to get to your next lesson.

~*~

After curfew, and way after your last lesson, you laid on the hard-as-rock bed in your on-campus dorm, staring at the ceiling, thinking about what you had overheard earlier. So casually was Jessica Brown and Professor Evans talking about *controlling* individual's bank accounts and other financial matters without their permission. It reminded you of the part of the Society's mission at the institute where Kate had overheard Martina Crowe, Mr. Curtain, and S.Q. Pedalian talking about the "improvement", which was basically sending messages straight to the minds of people all over the world, without their permission. S.Q. had asked why they didn't ask for the individuals' permission, and Mr. Curtain simply explain to him that, "If we were to tell them we were sending messages into their brains, they wouldn't be happy. You want them to be *happy*, don't you?". Of course, the secret message broadcast weren't doing any *good*, but they did give most people the *illusion* of happiness, except, of course, those with the powerful love of truth. You did remember that the broadcasts affected you and your family, awful headaches, irritation, and anger. So much that once you or your family experienced symptoms of the broadcasts' effects, you'd run into separate rooms immediately. Your grandfather and mother knew why, but couldn't tell the rest of the family due to the fact that Curtain's spies were always watching you.
A tear ran down your cheek as you thought about your grandfather, his hearty-laugh and kind-heartedness that always helped you (and your siblings) through the tough times of your grandmother's murder (she had told the wrong person what she knew about Mr. Curtain—one of his nasty spies—and a Ten Man suffocated her to death in broad daylight. You cried at the thought of your grandmother's untimely death, too. You often missed her warmth and stories (which you begged over and over again to hear) that she had told you when you'd stay over.