𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆

✩ ☽ ✩

✩ ☽ ✩

„I still think you should report it," Enola stood her ground. Betty had been trying to explain to her since the evening that she wasn't going to report anything, and despite that, she was speaking her mind. When Betty told her that she didn't have any valid evidence anyway, it shut her up for a moment, but then she immediately started to inquire about her past.

Betty was therefore rather grateful that she had finally returned to her original speech. Only she had accompanied her on her first day of work, so that perhaps she wouldn't go astray. Betty threw a bored look at Enola, but she was honestly glad to have her new friend accompany her. She was capable of getting lost even in a two-room flat, let alone in London. No way: she'd only ever known the way to school, she wouldn't have been able to walk to the university (she took the bus), the museum, the shop, and work. She was able to transport herself reliably to the most important places. But now she was worried she wouldn't hit anywhere, not only did London look different, but she even lived elsewhere. Still in the West End, but still.

She had made a promise with Edith to give her a handout for each day so that she would have some money by the start and not have to wait a whole month. Enola had let her live with her for free for the time being, but Betty always wanted to pay her debts as soon as possible, and with her it was no exception, she would have preferred not to take any of course, but that was not really an option.

She was more than grateful to the girl. She sorted out some old clothes for her, and there were enough of them so that Betty didn't have to wear the same ones every day. The bright blue dress she had already managed to wear remained her favourite, and for today she decided to wear a red one. She wore a white long-sleeved shirt under her top and a smock over her skirt. She was lucky that she and Enola had the same size feet, she could borrow her country boots.

„I'll pick you up this afternoon," Enola turned to her when they arrived outside the tearoom. „You don't have to-" Betty wanted to protest, but she wasn't allowed. „I want to," said the girl, and Betty just nodded gratefully and climbed the few low steps into the establishment.

Edith was already dancing among the empty tables and cloth, wiping each one. As soon as she saw Betty at the door, she greeted her with a smile and threw the wet stuff in her face. The brown-haired girl deftly caught the flying object and with a return greeting, set to work. Edith meanwhile had disappeared into the back room, presumably to bake cupcakes.

Betty moved gracefully between the tables with her apron tied tightly around her waist, her watchful gaze following the customers. A familiar voice caught her attention as she was picking up from her table.

Unlike the morning, it was oozing enthusiasm and joy. Betty hadn't even fully turned to the person before she was pulled into her arms, "Hello, my friend!" She patted her roommate's back in confusion and pulled away to get a look at her.