4

Brett -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The flight is today. LingLing give me strength. I haven't had a bubble tea in weeks. Too busy practising. I blink, and it still glares from the arrivals board.

Brisbane to Singapore, 2:15. The red light of the analogue blazes across the terminal. Huh. Looks just like the clock in... Never mind.

The Mendelssohn Concerto in E minor floats across my head, and I almost pass out. Is the air con not working in this airport today? The air feels stuffy, and I place a hand on my suitcase to steady myself. I look to the left, and my violin case is still there. Thank God. I wouldn't have time to rush back home to get it.

The lights on the arrivals board feel too bright, almost blinding. I see spots in the corner of my vision. Stay awake Brett, stay with me! I tell myself. Now is not the time to pass out.

Suddenly a chime rings out through the terminal like a foghorn. "Now boarding the 2:15 flight to Singapore. Please go to Terminal 4."

Saved by the bell. And luckily, I'm stationed in the right terminal. I don't think my legs would be up to the walking at the moment. I'd fall flat on my face and crack my glasses.

With a sigh, I haul my suitcase over to the door, clutching my ticket with a shaking hand. What is going on with me?

As I wait in the queue, my mind wanders. When was the last time I was at Brisbane Airport? About 10, 15 years ago I'd say. Not the best memory. 

My childhood best friend, inseparable through every year of school, was finally leaving me. I remember watching his head disappear into the tunnel, and my eyes blurring up with tears. I remember seeing his reddish-brown violin case on his back. I remember my heart pulling against my ribcage like a frantic trapped bird. I remember my hands gripping on to the handle of the seat, and I remember watching his plane take off with a sob in my throat. On the way home, I deleted his contact. I would never see him again, after all.

But now, I have the faintest glimmer of hope. His flight was to Singapore, for his job as a salaryman. And my flight is to Singapore too. Will I meet him again? My heart jumps as I board the plane, then lurches.

I forgot I was travel sick.