Petals of Desire, Thorns of Betrayal

Roseanne Wren

"Marry me, birdy." 

The world around me came to a stop. When a gentle breeze crossed us tingling his hair, I would have believed the time came to a still.

I started to shake my head when he gently held my hand. 

"Come with me..." He pulled me out of the restaurant into the open space. Where everyone was enjoying the view with cool breeze. 

"Asher, we need to speak." 

"Let's talk, but after this." My eyes widened when he pulled out a box and kneeled in front of me. 

This gathered more spectators while I heard many heavy whistles and claps. 

"I am going to keep this simple, don't embarrass me..." He chuckled and looked into my eyes sincerely.

"Having you by my side is what completes me. Before I met you, I never realized how empty my life was. I can't imagine my life without you in it."

"I'll love you forever. Even when I can't."

"And, I'll love you forever. Even when I shouldn't."

My tears fell harder at his words.

"Marry me, Roseanne Wren." My name from his lips sent shock waves and a huge clap and loud whoops erupted around me. 

I shook my head; no, I can't accept this and I shouldn't accept this.

This is a bad dream. A very bad dream and I should wake up.

I looked around to see many people filming this while he waited still smiling gentle at me. 

"I-I... can't-" 

"Don't make this end up in YouTube, as a proposal gone wrong birdy.... Marry me." I hesitated; he is right... before all these people if I reject him, it would be a humiliation. 

I can't do the same mistake and put him through the same feeling like that happened 3 years ago. 

I nodded my head, thinking why all our timings go wrong. 

"Say Yes." With much difficulty, I faked a smile and forced my voice out. 

"Yes, I will." The crowd erupted into loud cheers when Asher slipped the simple ring with a red Ruby stone in the middle surrounded by white little diamonds. 

"My Lady in Red." He said and kissed my knuckles.

He stood up and pulled me to a bear and pulled me into the warmest hug when I realized I was home. 

The place I wanted to return every day and snuggle cozily into its warmth and feel safe in its protective heaven.

The people were still cheering while I just bowed thanking them and he pulled me out of that place. 

I followed him silently till we were out of peoples reach. The proposal news was spreading among the tourist and Thank god Asher was not a great fan of attention. 

I pulled his hand to stop when we were out of people's ears.

"We need to talk."

"Here?"

"YES. HERE. NOW." He looked at me a little taken back but finally caved in.

"Ok, what's wrong?"

"I-I am going to d-d..."

"You are going to what?" I took a deep breath and forced my eyes to open and blurt out.

"I am going to die." Asher stilled looking at me shocked but soon a smile lifted his lips.