Chapter 3: An Unexpected Call

Twelve hours later we arrived in Germany. We were on our way to the hotel when I received a  unexpected call.
"Samantha,darling,please help me." My mother whispered.
"M-mother? Is that you? Why are you calling me?! I thought you were somewhere safe!" I exclaimed.
"Oh she was." An oh so familiar voice said.
"It was quite difficult for me to track her down."
"I swear to God if you hurt my mother-"
"Hurt your mother? That is a wonderful idea! Why didn't I think of that?"
"James please. Leave my mother out of this. I'll do anything. "
"I wish I could. I'm afraid that she knows too much now. But I will gladly trade her life for yours."
"You are despicable. "
"I know! That's what makes this so exciting. So what will it be? Your mother or you?"
"If I surrender, do you swear not to harm my mother in any way?"
"I swear on my life."
Micah was gaping at me;he tracked and recorded every phonecall we received.
"Alex no. Its a trap."
"She's my mother."
"We'll find a way."
"I cannot take that risk."
"I'm waiting." James said.
"I,I,I...........surrender. "
"No!" Micah exclaimed.
"Excellent." James laughed.
"Alex please."
"Meet me at 6 P.M. I will send you the coordinates. Your mother will be sent across the bridge to your partner and he will send you across to me. Anyone who messes up the plan will be shot on sight."
"Understood." I said.
"Six sharp;do not be late,my dear."
He laughed wickedly and it turned my blood to ice.
"I have lots of fun plans for you."
When he hung up my heart was raging in my chest and I was shaking with fear and anger.
"What's the plan?" Micah asked.
"We follow James' instructions."
"What?! You can't just give in like that!"
"I can and I will."
"Alex!"
"He crossed the line,Shaw. Don't you get that? He has my mother. I can't risk it. I'm sorry,Micah. Its over."
"I-I'll get backup to come for you! I will save you! You'll see."
"James will kill me the second he has me in his grasp. No,you will get my mother and yourself back to safety. I will not have you risking your life for me."
"But-"
"Get my mother to safety and take care of her. Then I want you to move on with your life. Forget about me. Find yourself a girl. Have a normal life."
"I don't want a normal life! I want to do this forever."
"The party is over kid."
"Alex-"
"I'm done talking."
I turned and left him standing there as hot tears stung my eyes because I could not face the fact that I was going to miss that scrawny little guy.