Chapter 8: Jealousy and Trouble

"Larkspursmoke," mewed Curlpaw patiently, "you should stop moving your tail. It'll just make it more sore."

Doesn't her voice sound so infuriating? grumbled Amberkit, pressed against her mother's striped pale ginger flank. "I'm really impressed with Curlpaw," mewed Cone. "She treats her sick cats so calmly. And right now, she's off duty: she's still injured from that dog fight!" Why does Mum like her so much more than me?

Amberkit rolled her eyes in the shadows grumpily. I have an idea! she thought. If I get them to fight each other, they won't like each other any more! I have the perfect plan. All I need to do is to get someone to help me. And I know exactly who: the biggest troublemaker in the Clan. Besides me, of course.

"Can I we go see Curlpaw, Mum?" asked Amberkit. "Will you get her a fish?"

Her mother nodded approvingly. "Alright, Amberkit."

Amberkit quickly sprinted ahead of her mother. "Are you hungry?" she asked to Curlpaw, who was lying down in the medicine den.

Curlpaw nodded. "I'm ravenous."

Amberkit sighed. "We've eaten tons in the nursery. But Mum said she would bring you some fresh-kill!"

At that moment, Cone arrived, panting.

Curlpaw looked around her mother. "Do you have any food?"

"Oh!" mewed Cone. "Did Amberkit tell you?"

Curlpaw and Amberkit nodded.

"Sorry," mewed Cone. "The fresh-kill pile was finished."

Curlpaw narrowed her eyes. "Why are you lying? The fresh-kill pile is extra full!"

Cone turned around. "It was not before, I promise."

Curlpaw raised her eyebrows. "I'm not a one moon old kitten anymore. All that prey can't just have materialised."

And now I can leave, thought Amberkit. She sprinted to Warmpaw, who was sitting peacefully in the apprentice den.

"I can see everything went according to plan," purred Warmpaw. "I kind of feel bad about what we did to Curlpaw..."

"But it was worth the fun," mewed Amberkit.

"Your the only cat in the Clan who understands how amazing it is to make trouble," purred Warmpaw.

"I'm more effective," Amberkit mewed snobbishly.

"You just convince people better," Warmpaw mewed. "I was the one who came up with hiding the fresh-kill pile then putting it back with even more prey. And I'm the one who asked Tulipstar to catch it and tried to catch some myself." Amberkit saw Warmpaw stretching an ear to eavesdrop on Cone and her daughter.

"This was the best thing I have ever done," mewed Warmpaw in satisfaction.

"Just remember it was my idea," Amberkit retorted.