Chapter 1: The First Leader

As Tulip dreamt that night, he found himself walking the stars of Silverpelt, a ghostly landscape surrounding him and a single, starry cat sat within the clearing.

The starry cat approaches him and, although the cat was unfamiliar, meeting her felt like a reunion with an old friend. "My name is Loudpaw. You meet me tonight, but the cats under your care will all meet me one day when they join the stars. For now," the cat pressed her nose against Tulip's forehead, "Take this gift, to help you see the dawn behind the darkness."

Suddenly, the mist at the edge of the clearing takes shape. Dozens of wispy, starry spirits emerged, quickly surrounding Tulip. "We grant you your eight remaining lives." Individually, each voice was distant, but together, the force of their words shook Tulip to the core. "Use them well, with our blessing." And in a heartbeat, they were gone.

Tulipstar woke up with his new name echoing in his ears.

"Tulipstar?" mewed Rush anxiously as the dappled pale ginger tom was resting in the leader's den. A soft, evening light filtered in.

"What is it?" Tulipstar answered. He tried to sound calm, but not patronising or condescending either.

"I'm worried for Curlkit," Rush admitted, concern plain in his sliver eyes. "She's been whimpering in his sleep and she doesn't have any friends. I think you should talk to Cone about it. You know she doesn't really like me or Rowan."

"Can you play more quietly?" Warmkit's grumpy mew came from the nursery while he was trying to sleep.

"Fine!" chirped Larkspurkit. "Anyways, in a moon, I won't be able to disturb you anymore because I'll be an apprentice!"

Disturbing Cone would be the wrong thing, Tulipstar convinced himself. "Curlkit seems to be playing with Larkspurkit," mewed the dappled cream tom. "If she really didn't have any friends, she would be on her own."

"Are you sure she'll be alright?" asked Rush. Tulipstar had just become leader, and Rush seemed unsure whether he could trust him or not.

"I understand that you're worried," mewed Tulipstar, "But I'm sure Curlkit is alright. I promise that if I see any more problems, I'll talk to Cone about it."

"Alright," he mewed, less tense than before. And with that, Rush sprinted to the warrior's den. 

Tulipstar sighed contently. That was the first time a cat from his Clan had come to him for help, and he was satisfied with how he had handled it.