9.

Same night

"I'm so tired of this shit, yo," Zac muttered to himself, frustration boiling over. In a fit of anger, he opened Fatima's contact and hit "block." He was fed up with being the only one to open up while she remained an enigma, leaving him feeling isolated and confused. His mind swirled with thoughts of all the times he had tried to get her to open up, only to be met with resistance. Just as he put his phone down, it began to ring. He answered, seeing it was his longtime friend, Cam.

"Aye, what's up, bro?" Zac answered dryly.

"Yo, man, why don't you come meet me and the boys at G's place?" Cam shouted over the loud music in the background.

"Naw, man, I'm tired. I was just about to hit the hay," Zac replied, not interested.

"Bro, come on! It's packed with girls tonight; it's lit down here!" Cam urged, excitement lacing his voice. Zac wiped his hand down his face, contemplating for a moment. Fuck it, why not? he thought to himself.

"Alright, bro, let me get situated, and I'll be there in 30," he finally relented, getting up from the couch. He hung up and headed upstairs to check on his grandpa.

"Aye, Pops, I'm about to step out for like an hour or two. You good?" he asked from the doorway.

"Yeah, I'm alright. I'll doze off here in a bit. Enjoy yourself," Grandpa Luther replied, waving him off. He had his oxygen mask on, so Zac left him be.

After getting ready, he peeked into Grandpa's room one last time and confirmed he was asleep. Jogging downstairs, he stepped out of the house, getting into his car. His mind was still swirling with thoughts about Fatima. Why couldn't she just let him in? He sighed deeply, trying to shake off the frustration.

It took him about fifteen minutes to reach the club. The moment he stepped inside, the bass of the music thumped through his chest, and the mingling scents of alcohol and perfume filled the air. Zac scanned the room for his friends, the dim lights casting a hazy glow over the crowd. Spotting Jay standing on a sofa, he made his way over.

"I know that ain't my nigga Z!" Jay yelled over the music as Zac approached.

"Wassup, man?" Zac replied as they slapped hands. He greeted the others, taking a seat next to Mike.

Cameron, Jay, Mike, and Zac had been tight since elementary school. Cam, 31, was a barber who owned three shops around Atlanta and had a two-year-old son with his ex. Jay, 29, was Cam's younger brother, wild and carefree, working under him. Mike, 33, was one of the top realtors in Atlanta, married with three boys. He was the most calm of the four.

The three of them had moved to Atlanta after college, around the same time Zac had gone to jail. When he got out, they welcomed him with open arms, asking him to join them in Atlanta. Speaking on the many opportunities the city had to offer. He was hesitant at first, It was when his grandpa became ill, that Zac felt it was a sign to leave Brooklyn behind. His start in Atlanta didn't go quite like theirs being that he was a man with a record. Even with his college degree, it meant nothing because of his background.

"Bro, pass the blunt! What are you hogging it for?" Mike said, mugging Cam.

"Damn, nigga, I just got it!" Cam replied, handing it over. Mike took a few pulls before trying to pass it to Zac, who declined.