Chapter 1: Last Summer

Calista's POV:

I grabbed a cold drink from the fridge and made my way outside. As I stepped out into my backyard, the hot summer sun blazed down on me with no mercy. The sun made me feel like I was standing in an oven. Since I was home alone, I decided to take advantage of the situation and spend my day outside, enjoying the fresh air.

My backyard was full of lush green trees and a beautiful garden my father tends to religiously. I admired the vibrant colors of the flowers and the way the leaves on the trees swayed gently in the soft breeze. Being out here, surrounded by nature, always gave me a sense of calmness and peace. I found a cozy spot in the shade of a massive oak tree, I kicked off my sandals and sat down on the grass, my sketchbook and pencils at my side.

As I gazed at the greenery around me, I couldn't help but feel like time was moving slower than a snail crossing a garden bed. The flowers in front of me swayed in the warm breeze, as if they too were in no hurry to go anywhere. The leaves on the trees above me rustled lazily, and the occasional bird chirp was the only indication that the world was still moving.

I picked up my pencil and started to sketch the tree in front of me, its rough bark and winding branches seeming to symbolize the slow passage of time. Drawing each tiny leaf felt like an eternity, but I was content to take my time. Being alone gave me the freedom to slow down and appreciate the little things, like the way the sunlight filtered through the leaves or the soft chirp of a bird in the distance.

The sound of a plane overhead broke my concentration, and I looked up to watch it disappear behind the towering trees.

As the hours ticked by, I lost myself in my sketchbook. I drew everything from the trees around me to my own hand, held out in front of me. The sun beat down relentlessly, but I found myself ignoring it in favor of my art.

There, I continued to draw, the sound of the birds singing and the leaves rustling around me. I felt free to express myself through my art, and it was as though all the problems of the world just melted away while I was sketching.

...

The familiar thud of a book and creaking of the neighbor's backyard swing reach my ears. I stood up from my seat and picked up the inflatable beach ball lying in the grass in the middle of the yard, juggling it in my hands. "Ember?" I called out, knowing it was my best friend.

"Yeah?" I heard Ember's voice call back to me. It was strained and pouty, right away I knew that my best friend is experiencing a bad day.

"Bad day?" I walked over to the hedges that separates our backyards.

"I guess..."

I spin the ball in my hands as I contemplate how to make Ember feel better. Playing ball is obviously not the solution nor is sitting down and making Ember talk. She's never been good at expressing her feelings and talking about it. Over the years, I've become an expert in reading her moods.

I approached the hedge, peering through the small gap to peek at her. "Wanna come over and watch toy story with me?" I asked

"That's a kid's movie. I'm not a kid." She deadpans. I could hear rustling on her side and I knew she's standing right in front of the hedge. I can always sense when Ember is near, in fact I call it The Ember Radar. Ember always laughs and shakes her head at me every time I mention it, but to me, it's always been true.

I chuckled, "Come on, you know you love that movie. And what's wrong with being a kid at heart?"

I could sense Ember is hesitating, but then she relented, "Fine, but don't tell anyone I'm watching a kid's movie. And only if we get extra cheese on the pizza."