SEASON 3 || Eccentric

Today's officially my first day in my new home of Hawkins, Indiana. I place my record of Head On The Door by The Cure on my player, picking out an outfit while the music starts. I decide to wear a dark green a-line dress made of crushed velvet that goes to my mid-thigh. I layer it over a thin flowy white button-down with ruffles around the collar and cuffs. I grab a pair of white knee high socks with lace around the ends, tugging them on. I accessorize my ensemble with a rosary made of pearlescent white beads, a silver locket, a pair of green flower earrings, some bracelets and a few rings.

I'm proud to say I've mastered a technique of teasing out my hair, having spent previous months trying out different hairsprays to find which works best for me. I pull my hair into a large banana clip, starting the process of creating a bats nest. Not only does it match the look I'm going for, it cools me down since I won't have my hair sitting on my neck. After teasing it all out, I start on my makeup, opting for something a little less dramatic. I don't want to freak anyone out too bad. I put some eyeshadow meticulously on and around my eyes, using eyeliner to create a unique look. I put mascara on my top and bottom lashes, a dab of red lipstick in the center of my lips, blending it out to look more natural. I finish it off with a light dusting of blush. I smile at myself in the mirror, feeling confident in how I look.

I love a lot of different music subcultures, which inspires my outfits. I dress in various ways, even opting to combine elements of them together. I like to dress up, as it makes me feel happy and is another form of expressing myself. Since both of my parents are artists and rather eccentric in their own right, they have encouraged me to express myself however I see fit.

I start packing a small dark brown messenger bag, shoving in my walkman, car and house keys, sketchbook, drawing materials, wallet, my mix tape #3, and some gum. I slip on my mary janes, mist a spray of rosewater perfume over my collar, and then make the journey to our front door. I pass my mom and dad working together to design our living room. My dad's collages and paintings are scattered around the floor while my mom already has a few of her sculptures unwrapped.
"Oh Jeanie look, our daughter spreading her wings!" my dad smiles.
I just give a plain look, a bit embarrassed. "I was just gonna go check out the mall. Maybe see if I can get a job?"
My mom sweeps me into a warm hug, only using her forearms to keep from getting clay dust on me. "Have fun dear! Let me know if they have any art supplies shops, I don't know how long our stuff will last."
"I'll keep an eye out. Bye!" I wave.

I start up my Corvette c4, dumping my bag onto the passenger seat. I fiddle with the radio for a moment before starting my drive to Starcourt Mall. I have the windows rolled down, enjoying the late afternoon air. I'm thankfully able to find parking relatively close to the entrance. I swiftly walk to the doors, a few parents giving me odd looks. From what I've gathered Hawkins is rather tight-knit, everyone knows everyone. My existence causes a ripple in their consistent roster of familiar faces.

I stroll around, taking in the sights of decorated storefronts. My eyes land on a record shop which instantly draws me in.
Rows upon rows of records line the floor, multiple shelves stocked with cassettes. Any open wall space has been taken over by different posters ranging from The Clash to Wham.
I push the door open, greeted by the sight of a girl who could be mistaken for Siouxsie Sioux flipping through a magazine. She notices me right away, beckoning me over to the counter.
"Hey, I've never seen you here before. You new?"
"Yeah! I like your makeup," I compliment.
She smiles, "Thanks! I'm Samantha."
"Y/n."

We get around to talking, discussing music and the small scene here in Hawkins. She told me it's like a family, as they usually like to hang out here since she controls what is played over the speakers. I ask her about any jobs but she sadly reports that there isn't any at this specific store, but they're hiring at Scoops Ahoy on the lower floor.
"Although, if you do you have to wear a sailor uniform," Samantha dramatically sprawls on the counter.
I cringe at the thought, "Seriously?"
"Yeah, but I'm sure you could totally rock it. Just add your own flare to it, I can already see you have impeccable fashion taste."
She tells me the times she usually works along with giving me her landline number so we could hang out later. Samantha gifts me a small Cure pin by sliding it into my palm without a word after noticing I had glanced over to it a few times. I was about to speak when she whispers, "I take them all the time."