Chapter One

"So this is what you've chosen? For god to bear witness of your ruin?"

The metal of the silver pistol engraved itself into my palm as I held it, making my way  towards the wooden pews. My voice echoed through the old church, the crisp sound of my boots hitting the floorboards, accompanied by my breathing, pricked at the short silence.

A sigh was soon followed by a creak of aged wood, the sitting man now on his feet. He looked like someone who picked up heavy objects, setting them down before picking them up again, repeating that a billion times over. His large back presented itself to me, as his head lifted to gaze ahead.

I swallowed—Had I not fully anticipated what I could be up against..?

"I will not die here today..Klein Maus." He informed, flatly, breaking the silence.

My grip on the pistol became tighter, raising it to his direction as I ignored his comment.

"In fact—" He started..turning his body to me.

I swallowed again, steadying the gun as I aimed.

"I'm afraid..God..will have to wait to attest."

Two twinkles of green embedded themselves into the dark abyss of the chapel's corner, where he stood. A chill ran down my spine as the cold air phantomed over my skin. I pulled the trigger, the deafening sound of the pistol crackling through the stoned building forcing the room to submit to silence.

I let out a shaky breath, my eyes struggling to make out anything in the dimmed church.

"You missed Klein—"

I gasped, my body spinning around as I pulled the trigger once more, an attempt to cease his damned taunts. A grimaced expression stained my features as my eyebrows furrowed, panting heavily. I twisted my neck in discomfort as I brushed it against my shoulder, trying to erase the feeling of his cold breath that veiled my neck seconds ago.

"Fuck.." I cursed under my breath, leaning the head of the pistol against my ear, backing up slowly.

His laughter filled the church, baiting me to let my composure slip. I raised my pistol, glancing towards the front of the room where lit candles scattered the ground. Suddenly, there was an abrupt change as concealed wind gushed over my skin, drowning the illumination of the candles. My head swung as I jumped, my breathing unsteady as I tried to adjust to the darkness. The man suddenly spoke, my grip on the pistol tightened as I swung it back, letting off another shot.

A sharp hiss was heard, followed by him sighing. "Tsk."

"Where are you?" I demanded. Blindly eyeing the space.

Silence.

Then, a creak...Above me..?

"Are you just going to hide in the shadows-"  I pointed my pistol above my head, my fingers grasping to take the shot.