5. i'd block the sun

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE.
imessage and narrative

august 1, 2022: storrs, connecticut

paige

paige
just made it to the
gym
paige
lou and azzi say they miss
you

gracie
i will see them later
gracie
tell them i say hi

paige
they say hi too
paige
so does nika

incoming call from
"lou lou"

accept    decline

I furrowed my brows upon seeing Lou's name appear on my screen. Not that her call was unwelcome, just unexpected. I press the phone to my ear as the call connects, "Hey, Lou! You guys done with the pickup game?" I ask. Her, Azzi, Nika, and Paige were playing a 2v2 game today. It seemed to end a little early.

"Um, Grace," she says softly, her voice laced in worry and slight panic.

I chew on the inside of my lip gently, "Lou? What's up? Did something happen?" I question.

"Paige is at the hospital. She went down hard during the game," Lou tells me. Her words are shaky as she speaks. I can tell she doesn't want to worry me, but that doesn't matter.

Hospital. Paige. Went down.

Her words repeat in my head. If anything, it's just an injury that would hopefully not keep her from the season. She'd already missed most of her sophomore season because of a knee injury (an anterior tibial plateau fracture and a lateral meniscus tear).

My breath catches in my throat just a bit, "Are any of you with her?" I ask.

"Azzi is. Nika and I are going to tell Geno what happened," Lou explains.

I nod though she can't see me, "Well, I'm going to the hospital. Azzi or I will update you guys."

The call disconnects and my hands are shaking just a bit. I grab my keys, taking a deep breath. KJ is with Ashton and I don't want to worry either of them if Paige's injury isn't as bad as I'm thinking it is. If it is, then I'll tell them.

My knuckles have turned white as I drive, gripping the wheel. I sent a text to Azzi while I drove, probably not the smartest decision, but I did it anyway.

g clark
hey lou told me what happened
g clark
is paige in a room ??

azzi
yeah, i'll just meet you
outside
azzi
let me know when you get here

When I pulled up, Azzi was already standing outside. Luckily, it wasn't too hard to find a parking spot. I stepped out of my car quickly, looking at Azzi, "Is she okay?" I question.

Azzi nods though I know Paige probably isn't in the best space, "She was asking for you on the way here and her dad has been called," Azzi explains. My chest feels heavy as we walk inside, "Grace, it might be really bad."

"Azzi, like, season ending?" I ask.

It takes a few moments, but Azzi nods, "By hearing whatever the doctor said, they think she tore her ACL."

I take a deep breath as the two of us make it into the room. Paige is laying on the bed with tears on her cheeks. She didn't cry very often, that's just the way she was, especially in front of people she didn't know. The second she spots me, she starts crying again, "Gracie," she says softly.

I walk over to her, leaving Azzi in the doorway. Paige's hand is stretched out to me and I quickly take it, wrapping my other arm around her head, letting her rest against my stomach. Letting go of my hand, she wraps her arms around my waist, "It hurts so fucking bad, G," she whispers.

My heart breaks, hearing her upset like this. I nod, pressing a light kiss to her head, "I know, I know," I say softly, hoping to provide her some reassurance.

Paige shakes her head, "It's over. I'm done for the season, Grace," she says.

I take her face in my hands, making her look at me, "You don't know that, P," I tell her, wiping her cheeks.

We could only hope that it wasn't an ACL tear.

authors note
here we go