Chapter 42

Jenna

We're now on our way to Zagreb for the second show on this tour. It's about 2 hours and 40 minutes to get to the venue where the concert will be. I was a lot less nervous than I was in Umag because I've played for an international crowd now. "Bojči?" I asked as we were 15 minutes into the drive.

"Hm?"

"I was wondering if I could invite my parents and brother to come to the London show. They'll be in London for the International Skating Championships that my brother is competing in."

"Was Nationals happening the day of the first show?"

"Yeah. That's the one that I was bummed to miss."

"And of course you can invite them." He said, kissing my forehead and I smiled.

I picked up my phone and called Grant. "Jenna! I'm about to get on the ice!" Grant said.

"I just wanted to let you know that we're getting you, Mom and Dad tickets for the London show on July 20!"

And then I saw Grant's coach come over next to him. "Hi Jaz!" I said.

"Hi Jenna! How's the tour going?"

"We're on our way to Zagreb right now. And, if you're interested, would you like to come and see Joker Out on July 20 in London?"

"Who's Joker Out?"

"That's the band we're touring with right now." I panned my phone to Bojan. "So, Jaz, this is Bojan, their lead singer. Bojan, this is Grant's skating coach Jaz. She used to also babysit me and my brother when we were little."

"Hi Bojan!" Grant exclaimed.

"Hi Grant! I heard you qualified for Internationals. Congratulations!"

"Thanks, Bojan." Grant said.

"Has Mom started bumping you up to lessons twice a week now?"

"Once school lets out, yes. SAVE ME."

"You gotta practice, you know." I said.

"I knowwwwwwwwwwww. And then we're cutting back to once a week when Internationals is over."

"Anyways, kick butt in practice today. I love you, I miss you, tell Mom, Dad and Mittens I said hi and tell them that we're getting tickets for you for the London show, and Jaz, are you going to go to London as well?"

"I am, yes."

"We'll get you a ticket too." Bojan said. "The concert: 9PM London time, July 20th, Electric Ballroom."

"I have to go, bye Jenna!"

"Love you, Stinker!"

I hung up the FaceTime call. I rested my head on Bojan's shoulder and he stroked my hair. "You okay?"

"Mostly. I'm way less nervous than the last gig we had."

"I can tell, my zvedzica."

"Talking to my brother usually helps me feel better. Or just anyone who I trust. You're one of those people now." I said, nestling my head on his shoulder.

All he did was gently kiss my forehead and rub my shoulder. I smiled a little bit and he smiled back at me. "You're going to slay tonight, Jenna." He whispered in my ear.

"Thanks, Bojči. I couldn't do this without you."

I pulled up 'A sem ti povedal' on Spotify, then listened to it. "You listening to 'A sem ti povedal'?"

I paused the music and hugged him tight. "I am. It calms me down a bit. Like when I had trouble sleeping a few days ago and you sang it to me. It helped. A lot. But I'm still really nervous."

He put his arm around me. "I'm right here. You're here. On the bus. Breathe in...breathe out."

I breathed for a minute. "Are you feeling better?"

"A little bit. I'm less nervous, but need a little more support, tbh."

"You're okay. You're okay." He pointed out the window. "Do you see all of that forest?"

"Yes." I said.

"It's really pretty."

"Just driving past it makes it seem more peaceful."

I leaned my head on his shoulder. "Sorry I'm feeling a little extra snuggly today." I said.

"You're okay, my zvezdica. You killed it in Umag last week."

"I did?"

"Yes you did. I saw the passion in you. I'm so proud of you. I feel like a proud parent right now." He laughed.

The four words that escaped my lips next were some words I will never forget. "I love you, Bojan." I said.

"I love you too, my sweet little zvezdica." He replied, planting another small kiss on my forehead.

About two hours later, we arrived at the venue in Zagreb. "Jenna? We're here." Bojan said, gently nudging me.

I didn't realize I had fallen asleep on his shoulder until just now. "Hm?"

"We're here. At the venue." He said.

I rubbed my eyes. "We're in Zagreb now?"

"We are. We have a soundcheck in a few hours."

"The bus is too cozy. I don't wanna get off." I complained.

"We can hang out backstage, okay?"

I got off the bus, grabbed my duffle and guitar and headed inside. When I sat down in the backstage area, I pulled out my phone and played some Måneskin, which also helped me calm down a bit. "So sip, the gossip, drink till you choke. Sip, the gossip, burn down your throat. You're not iconic, you are just like them all." I sang to myself. (GOSSIP is my fave off of RUSH, and BLA BLA BLA follows)

A little bit of a background on how I got into Måneskin: Eurovision 2021. And TikTok in the following months (their cover of Beggin from their first album was trending in 2021). Olivia's mom had just shifted to the international music department at The Tennessean, so they sent her to cover the festival in Rotterdam (when Måneskin won). Which got me hooked. Bojan sat down next to me. "You're awfully quiet, zvezdica. Are you okay?"

"I am. Still a little nervous about the gig."

"I know. I know. You're here with me. You're okay." He said, rubbing my back.

I wish I was more stable, I thought. I'm eighteen years old! Why don't I have that stability? I don't need to rely on someone to keep me calm! "Hey Bojan! You have to come check this out!" We heard Nace call from the other room.

"Jenna? Do you want to come?"

"Yes."

I followed Bojan to where our outfits were laying. There were holes on the sleeves of his pink satin shirt that he would be wearing tonight. "There were moths on top of it." Jan explained.

"I have an idea." Jure said.

Bojan and I looked at Jure confusingly. "Jurček, what are you thinking..." Sam said, putting her face in her hands.

"Bojan, put on the shirt," Mark said, coming in.

"Maaaaaaark." Olivia groaned.

Bojan left the room and put on the shirt. (Does anyone know if there's a picture of the shirt before the sleeves were ripped?). When he came out, we all giggled. "Hey, you should totally rip those sleeves. It'll look better that way." Avery suggested.

"Speaking of, I'm gonna need a little help with that. Jenna, would you like to do the honors?" Bojan asked.

I was speechless, like last week when Bojan said that I'd be staying with him. "JENNA COOPER!" My BFFs chanted.

"Alright, you win." I giggled.

I made a small slit with the scissors Maks had handed me, and pulled on the sleeve. And I did the same thing on the other side. "What do you think?" I asked.

Bojan looked in the mirror. "I like it! Thanks, Jenna."

"Anytime, Bojči."