Chapter 18

I wake up alone in Stefano's bed. I look at the clock, and it's already nine in the morning. I haven't slept like that in so long...since I was last here.
I walk downstairs to an empty house. I see a note sitting on the counter.
Ciao Mia Amore,
I'm sorry I had to leave before you awoke. Emilia is at my parents' house for the day. I'll be home as soon as I can. Be dressed by 12:00... check for a box in the bathroom. See you then.
~Stefano
I walk upstairs to the bathroom to see an adorable sundress. It's light blue with little daisies on it. I get dressed and do my hair.
When I hear the door open I run down to the first floor. "Stef," I smile rounding the corner. "Hello Evie," he says wrapping his arms around me. "Thank you," I whisper. "We're going to go to the doctor and see our cute little baby," he says. "You want to?" I ask. "Of course," he says kissing me. I blush and my heart swells. He hands me a bouquet of white roses. "You didn't have to get me anything," I say. "I know," he says kissing my forehead. "Have you eaten?" he asks. I nod. "Alright in the car mi amore," he says. I follow him and we get into one of his cars. "I want to go back to work," I state. "Okay if that's what you want. You don't need to though," he says. "I want to," I reply. "Then your position is still yours," he says.
When we finally get into a room at the doctor's I just lay back on the table and wait. Stef's face is just flat. "You okay?" I ask. "Yes," he replies. I shift uncomfortably and just stare at the door. Sometimes it's easy to forget he doesn't want this.
"Hi Ms. Whitlock," the doctor greets. "I assume this is the baby's father?" she asks. "Yes," I say quietly. She does her examination while trying to make some small talk. The ultrasound tech finally turns the screen towards us. "That right there is your baby, and you're eight weeks along," the doctor informs. The sight brings tears to my eyes. I cover my mouth and try not to cry. I look over at him and he's just staring at the screen again with a blank face. "Did you want any ultrasound pictures?" the tech asks. "Oh yes can I get three please," I ask. She nods. "Congratulations Ms. Whitlock and Mr. De Luca. I'll see you back in three weeks," she smiles before leaving. "Thanks," I tell Stefano. He nods.
    As soon as we get back his friends arrive, Carlos, Dante, Blake, AND Gage. "Hi guys," I smile. Carlos whispers, "Congratulations" in my ear. He always knows everything. Stefano grabs some whiskey for everyone. "I'm going to tidy up Emilia's room, but you guys have fun," I say. "Okay, Evie," Stefano nods. I walk up the many stairs and pick up her toys. I fold some clothes and end up spending a bunch of time in there. The whole time I have had such bad cramps, but I ate a heavy lunch so I don't think it's that big of a deal.
I haul a hamper downstairs and hear them talking so loudly. "I'm trying to be involved guys but she makes it hard," Gage says. "I could see that. Women with babies just end up ruining your life," Stefano drinks more whiskey. I make eye contact with Carlos. "Stefano," Carlos gestures towards me. I drop the laundry and just stare. Stefano turns around meeting my gaze. "Evelyn it's-" he starts saying but I turn and bolt into the bathroom. I lock the door and lean against it. I should have known. He's been acting weird at doctor appointments. "Evelyn it's not what you think just let me explain," he says rattling the door handle. "Go away!" I yell. "Evelyn open this goddamn door right now," he says sternly. I say nothing and just hold back tears. He pulls on the door a few times before I hear silence. Silence...before a key turning. He opened the door so fast I thought it was going to come off the hinges. "Evelyn-" he starts. "I gave you an out! If you hated it so much why didn't you take it? If I'm ruining your life let me go," I yell. "It's not like that," he bellows cutting me off. "Gage hated the idea of having his own kids and he currently has two pregnant baby mamas. One of which is high-maintenance and the dad lifestyle just isn't for him and he knows it. Hence why we were teasing him," he explains. I look past him to see Dante nodding. "Then why do you keep acting strange at the doctor's?" I ask. "Guys could you go in another room please," he says facing his friends. Once they leave he starts, "I'm trying to learn what to do that's best for you. I didn't think I'd ever be in this situation again. Not that I mind it, Emilia's mother and I didn't do any of that together. I wanted to, but she didn't. She left of course soon after Emilia was born as you know. I do not want you to do the same," he sighs moving his gaze to the wall behind me. "I'm not her," I say. "I won't leave. I'm sorry I caused such a scene," I apologize. "I'm sorry too," he says short but sweet. He goes to hug me, and I let out a small whimper. He stares at me confused. "Did I hurt you?" he finally asks. "No, I've just been having bad cramps," I say. "Do you need to go to the doctor?" he asks. "I just want a hot bath," I admit. "Okay my love," he picks me up. "What are you doing?" I smile. "Carrying you. Isn't that obvious?" he smiles back. I roll my eyes and rest my head on his chest. He starts running a bubble bath while I pull out some of his clothes to wear. He pulls out my makeup wipes and opens the pack. I grimace again. It's just getting worse, but I don't know why. "I can do that you know," I say going to grab them. "No," he states. He kisses me and then wipes my face clean of any makeup so gently. He pulls my hair up after. "You're such a girl dad," I smile. "That's daddy to you," he smirks back. I feel my cheeks burn pink before even worse pain hits. I grip him. "Are you sure you're okay?" he asks. "I'll be fine," I say. Once he unzips my dress he stares in the mirror behind me. "What?" I ask looking over my shoulder. Blood. Crimson blood paints my panties and legs. My knees buckle and Stefano holds me against him. "Maybe it's just spotting," he tries to reassure. "That's not spotting Stef. That's a miscarriage," I whale. He wraps his arms around me, and he just lets me cry.