Part VII - Peace of mind

Previously...

Gump, Vallon and Oona discover that Darkess has already infiltrated the Kingdom of Floren and has bewitched Prince Balthazar.

After they successfully save King Roland from Balthazar's minions, they entrap the possessed Balthazar and protect the citizens of Floren by re-setting the protection spell.

Meanwhile, back in the deserts of Merryk, Engywook prepares his observatory in wake of Jack's attempt to meet the Southern Oracle.

After a warning and some vague guidance from Engywook, Jack proceeds to pass the first gate.

Two giant Sphinxes stand at the gate way, each imbued with the grace to allow him passage or the power to strike him dead...

Will Jack pass the first gate unharmed? Or, will he find death at the second gate..?

Will Darkness' forces remain imprisoned in Gump's protection shield or has Darkness found another way to regain control of Fantasia..?

Part VII

"...Run, Jack...RUN-!" Engywook screams from atop of the observatory, as Jack stands before the sphinxes in the valley below.

Jack steps back from the sphinxes gateway, his heart beating in a fevered rush. Fear consumes him as the sphinxes eyes slowly open, allowing a bright ray of light to glow beneath their eyelids.

Unable to control his thoughts, Jack makes a desperate sprint between the sphinxes.

As he nears the gateway the sphinxes eyes open releasing two bolts of searing white light to spear toward Jack, vaporizing him..!

Below the observatory, Engywook looks on in shock and horror as the fatal streams of light collide and explode at the bottom of the chasm. He hangs his head, mourning the oracle's champion. "He was chosen ... why did it fail?"

"I let fear get the better of me, that's why..."

Startled, Engywook lifts his head to find Jack, alive and well, gripping tight to Oona fresh from teleportation.

"You're... you're alive!" Engywook exclaims, jumping for joy.

"Wouldn't be if I Oona hadn't intervened... I'm not ready, Engywook. I could feel them look into my mind and heart, I couldn't appease them." Jack sighs, exhausted in defeat.

"But, you were so confident before... they didn't move a muscle until you stopped walking." Engywook replies, confused.

"When I stopped walking..? That's when I opened my eyes. I saw them, their enormity, their power. It diminished all peace of mind I had before." Jack confesses, ashamed.

"Where was your mind focused before?" Oona queries, with a glimmer of hope in her eye.

"The forest." Jack answers.

"That's where we'll find your courage. Take my hands..." Oona orders, holding her hands out to Jack.

"I can't leave now, Oona." Jack protests.

"You have no choice. You need the forest. It's a part of you, it'll help give you back your equilibrium. " Oona insists.

"She's right. If you teleport there now, refresh your mind and reconnect with your heart, the sphinxes will see what you see." Engywook concurs.

"What will they see?" Jack asks.

"Peace." Engywook replies with a comforting smile.

Meanwhile, back in the forest within the safe confines of Jack's subterranean home, Lili wakes.