Chapter Two

I wake up to see my mother crying by my bedside and my father behind her with a comforting hand on her shoulder. He had a somber expression on his face and his head was angled down.

Xander is still at the end of my bed looking straight at me. He nods towards my mother and father who haven't noticed I've woken up yet.

The thing is, my parents were never there. Not at my school plays or graduations. Or even on my birthday. It's always been a babysitter or just a housekeeper. Never them. Ever. If I was lucky I would get one call a week from them. Sometimes I would go weeks without hearing from them.

And no matter how much I begged or cried they would never come home.

Eventually, I stopped asking.

"Mom?" I eventually say and her head immediately snaps up to me. A look of relief takes over her and my father's face.

"Oh honey," She engulfs me in a hug. The pain from the stab wounds is still there when I move but I let her have her moment. My father joins in the hug and wraps his arms around me and my mom. "I'm so sorry honey you don't deserve this." She runs her hand up and down my back comfortingly.

"We came as soon as we could," my father tells me and pulls away. He gently pulls my crying mother off of me.

"We're so glad you're okay," my mother says and wipes the tears from under her eyes. I smile softly and nod. "Oh, you must be so overwhelmed right now, I'm not making it any better am I?"

I just stare at her, not knowing what to say.

"I'm so sorry, Harper." She pushes some of my hair out of my face. "We can only stay for a little before we have to fly back out."

I look to my father for confirmation and he nods. I sigh and nod my head in understanding.

I force a smile on my face and nod. "That's okay I get it," I reassure my parents.

They seriously can't stay this once? Even after I was almost killed?

My mother sighs in relief, "I'm so glad you understand," she pauses, "You see... we actually have to go right now..." I can hear the regret in her voice.

"That's okay, I understand," I reassure her. I glance down at the end of my bed and see Xander looking at me with a look of pity. I quickly look back at my mother to see her standing up.

"Call us when you get home okay? We gave them permission to let you go after the police ask you some questions." She explains to me while walking to the door with my father trailing behind her. "The police are going to be here in about twenty minutes, okay?"

I nod. I look down at my arm and see that all the needles and stuff were taken out of my arms.

"We love you," My father says and gives me a reassuring smile. My mother nods in agreement.

"Love you too." I watch as my parents leave me alone. Again.

But I'm not technically alone this time. Xander was here. He moved back to the side of the bed my mom was on and sat in the chair she had just left. He has to turn it around so he doesn't crush his wings and ends up straddling the chair with his arm crossed over the backing.

We just sat there in silence for a bit before he broke it, "Can you still see me?" He asks. It sounds as if he doesn't want me to answer. As if he wants me to not be able to see him.

"Nah, I'm just staring at the wall," I say sarcastically and sit up again. It's not as painful as the first time I tried to sit up but it's uncomfortable.