Chapter 14

"How likely are you to dance with Juniper this evening?" Ominis sat on the edge of his bed in the dormitories.

Sebastian grunted, frustrated with the lack of cooperation from his bow tie. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, how much time are you planning on spending with her?"

"I don't know. Does one usually plan out an evening through intervals of time spent with a person?"

Ominis ran his fingers through his hair, a motion he did often when stressed. "Are you going to dance with her?"

"Not the first dance, I would need at least a couple of butterbeers before I set foot on the dance floor." He became increasingly angry with his bow tie and all the questions flooding from Ominis. What did he care if Sebastian spent time with June that night or not? He tossed his bow tie onto the ground.

"Why couldn't you simply wear a tie? You're already familiar with it anyway."

"Because -" He grabbed the now wrinkled bow tie from the ground. "- Anne was kind enough to help me pick this outfit out, and she made me promise to send a portrait. The last thing I want to do is disappoint her."

Ominis rolled his eyes and flicked his wand, the bow tie immediately taking the proper form upon Sebastian's high neck shirt.

"You couldn't do that earlier?"

"You didn't ask." Ominis stood and began to pace, trying to burn off some nervous energy.

"What's eating you up?" Sebastian finally took notice of Ominis' unsettledness.

"I have a very bad feeling about tonight. I can't explain it, but Juniper should not be left alone at any point during the night."

"What do you mean?"

Ominis stopped and indirectly faced Sebastian. "What part of 'I can't explain it' did you not understand? I sensed a shift in her, a dark one. Ever since the night of the snowstorm, something has been brewing inside her. I would do it, given that I am escorting her, but as you can tell, I am not hiding my concern very well. She is bound to notice."

Sebastian thought over what his friend was saying. He would be lying if he said he hadn't noticed a change in her demeanor but ruled it out as a side effect of their rocky friendship.

"I'll work something out." He said finally, the tension visibly shedding off Ominis' body. "Though I won't guarantee more than one dance."

"Dancing is a distraction. Just keep your eyes on her."

___________

Once Juniper and Ominis entered the Great Hall, it was as if they were transported to a winter wonderland in a storybook village. The magical ceiling had snowflakes falling softly from it that would gradually disappear before hitting the ground. The smell of ginger, pumpkin, and chocolate reached their noses like a warm welcome, inviting them closer. Christmas trees were decorated along the corners of the room in a way that made them seem like they were just brought in from a snowstorm, with ornaments and lights hung over the snow. The subtle sound of sleigh bells accompanied with stringed instruments truly set the cherry on top for the perfect Yule-time cheer.

"You two make for an attractive couple."

"Thank you, Professor Weasley." The pair answered in unison. She was dressed in her usual formal attire, but in a more festive manner. She replaced her black dresses for a red one and paired it with a green brooch and ribbons. She did not disappoint.