Cheer Practice!

We walked to the gym room after changing into our stretch clothes. I pulled on the restrictive material between my hips as I we passed Wayne and Riley to the foot ball field. They had gotten pretty close with each other and usually hung out with random guys.

"See you later, baby." He patted Abby as they crossed each other.

***

I was the head cheer leader and I had just one other girl, Emma Reynolds, who would take on my nerves at being just as good as me.

I usually had the feeling she wanted to be the lead only so she could take on the foot ball captain first, believed to be a rite all over the south.

I had no intentions of seeing anybody, so I was the lead because I was worthy and also because I was Phalange.

***

"Regina, I heard Ms. Campbell chose you to be the lead this year too! Varsity queen!" A devoted fan, Vanessa exclaimed. We were friends with only this girl in gym class.

"Wow, thanks Nessy." We did a cheer high five.

"Babe, I am so happy for you." Abby and Kiara lifted me up and yelled "H-A-P-P-Y!".

This, I knew was from their hearts. I smiled so wide, I wasn't sure if it was because, I again was the lead or because Emma didn't get to be.

***

We walked into the hall and began our cheer-warm up stretches.

"I know, Mr. Ryan. She is worthy of her right to rule the school's yell squad." Mrs. Campbell was speaking to the foot-ball coach.

They exchanged a few more bits and he left as we walked towards her.

"Congrats, Reg. You are to be the lead, this year too on varsity." I was obviously her favorite too.

"Yay! Thanks, Mrs. Campbell." I beamed.

"The football season is in 6 weeks and this time we are hosting the league. We will get new uniforms and better props, Kay?" Mrs. Campbell tried her serious tone which failed her every time.

"Yes, Mrs. Campbell." We yelled back in unison.

"Go pull out the usual, first." She motioned to the prop stage as we walked over to it.

***

"Lead, this year too, Phalange?" Emma gave me a pathetic look.

"Yes, is there a problem?" Being sarcastic was in my blood.

"Sometimes I wish your parents weren't this rich." She sneered.

"Too bad they own the town." I didn't want to explain myself to people who weren't just worth it. If it was Wayne pulling out this to my face, it would have boiled me down.

"Girls, no talking in between cheers!" Mrs. Campbell yelled from across the gym.

Emma gave me a snare and moved to the second base line.

"Pump up the volume and gals, CHEER!" Mrs. Campbell said her usual line, throwing her arm onto the air.

I went to the end of the hall as the other girls formed a pyramid. I ran with speed and stepped over 3 levels. Kiara and Vanessa launched me into the air for a flip. And as I soar back I did a split as the base tumbled and the girls ran to their positions for scales.