Chapter 19 Asleep

Chapter 19

Asleep

Richard's POV

Here we are now at the funeral.

A lot of people from the government are here, people whom I've heard a lot from in the news.

Danica and I went near her parents' coffin. I looked at Danica and tears began falling to the side of her face. Pain and grievance spread across her eyes.

"Mom, Dad n-nanalo po ako sa competition sa b-badminton ngayon."

She was crying and I was just patting her back just to let her know that I am here for her.

"A-alam ko na kahit hindi niyo pa ako.. napapanood k-kahit minsan sa mga games ko, n-na proud kayo sa akin. I regret all those times na hi-hindi ako naging ma-masunurin... at yung naging matampuhin a-ako sa inyo. I'm so sorry mom and dad. I love you both." she said while crying.

We stood there for a few moments and I was just soothing her by brushing my hand on her back. Then she cried on my shoulder.

"Danica, I think you should take a seat."

I guided her to a chair and we sat down.
"Ma'am, tubig po" her nanny handed her a glass of water.

"Thank you, manang." Danica said to her nanny while trying her best to smile.

"Sir, ikukuha ko din po kayo."

"Thank you po" I smiled to manang.

"That's manang Linlin. She's been my nanny since birth. She's like my second mother. She would always be there to attend meetings at school." She said and then paused for a moment as if contemplating on something that made her really sad because she started crying again.

"M-manang was always there for me. She w-would... watch my games. She helps m-me with my home works. And now I realized wala pa talaga kaming masyadong bonding ng parents ko." she looked at me and sadness filled the space between us.

"Ganunpaman, ramdam ko na mahal na mahal ako ng parents ko. At mahal ko din sila. If only they knew." She wiped her tears and I hugged her.

"Be strong, Danica. I'm sure your parents knew how much you love them and I'm also sure that they are proud of your achievement." I broke the hug and looked her in the eye.

"I will be here for you, okay?" And then I gave her a reassuring smile.

I wiped her tears and we became quiet for a while.

"Alam mo, Richard, hindi lang ako ngayon nawalan ng taong mahal ko ng sobra."

Then she looked at me.
She held my hand and held my gaze for a moment.

"Namatayan na din ako ng boyfriend."

I can see that pain shot through her eyes, but she did not cry. Instead she began shouting.

"Aaah! Baaaakit?! Bakit?! Bakit may dugoooo?!"
Danica said. While combing through her hair.

I was shocked.
Para talaga siyang...nababaliw.

All of the people at the funeral looked at us and I did not also know what to do. Until Danica, began slapping me.

"Huwag niyo kaming paghiwalayin?!" She shouted at me.

I held her arms because she was really being wild.

"Danica, calm down."I whispered to her.

"Hindi! Hindi ito pwede!!!" She shouted and she kicked and kicked trying to free herself from my hold.