Twenty

Nighttime couldn't come fast enough. After the incident between Atlas and me, Seveyn paid no attention to me during my free time. She didn't help me practice more, nor did she hang around our usual hang-out spot. Instead, she stayed to herself. I never realized how much Atlas and Fay's rivalry bothered her.

When nightfall did finally come around, I was leaning against the wall, too anxious actually to get in bed and fall asleep. Or, well, pretend to fall asleep. The guards in front of my cell didn't seem to care if I was awake or not, as their whole purpose was to make sure I didn't go anywhere. Not like I could without their keys, but clearly, Fay did it before, so I'm sure I can do it too. Annoyingly, Atlas's cell is right across from me. Sevyn and Nyx's cells were on either side of me.

The original plan of how Fay escaped would have worked perfectly if not for she shoved me in here, making me pretend to be her, so now security was up my ass every second. Distract the guards. Get the key to get out and sneak. Just sneak around. Easy.

But no, not this time. Sneaking is not an option. There are not only guards in front of my cell but guards scattered everywhere. The new plan was that one of them would distract the guards enough for me to snatch their keys and unlock my cell. Unlock their cells and fight. Fight our way to the exit.

Atlas, of course, wanted to be the one to distract, but I shot that idea down, seeing as he was farther from me, so how would I be able to get the keys? Stupid. It would make sense for one of the girls to do so as the guards would have their attention on them but still close enough for me to reach and grab their keys.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Three knocks. The code we established was when the plan would start. I took a deep breath, preparing myself as I pushed onto my feet and approached the bars. The guards didn't move an inch, too busy staring at the wall or wherever they were staring. Sevyn or Nyx should start distracting the guards soon. Instead, Atlas spoke up.

"Yo! A guy needs to take a piss over here, you know."

What the fuck, Atlas.

"Everyone had the opportunity to go to the bathroom before bed. You know the rules." The guard on the left mentioned.

"Right, but I have to go again, so if you could please." Atlas drew out please as he gripped the bars. I tried making eye contact with him. I tried to see what he was doing because this was not part of the plan, but instead, he kept his eyes on the guard he was talking to. After silence, the guard on the left walked over to unlock Atlas's cell.

"Let's make it quick, yeah?"

As soon as Atlas stepped out, his elbow bashed straight into the guard's stomach, causing him to lurch over. Before the other guard could pull out his weapon, Atlas shoved the first guard into him, causing the weapon to fall. He jumped to it and used it to knock them out.

"Hey, I made it quick, yeah?" Atlas copied the guard's words, chuckling before snatching the keys off of them. He walked over and unlocked the girls before taking his sweet time unlocking my cell.

"As great as that was, what the fuck, Atlas? That wasn't part of the plan." I told him. Atlas only shrugged his shoulders before grabbing the guards and moving them into one of our cells. He locked them in there before making his way down the hall.

"So you're not gonna answer my question?"

"It worked. So no, I won't answer your question."

I hate him. So much. But he is right. What he did worked, and now the easy part is over with. Luckily, everyone else was already fast asleep and had not heard anything that went down, but as I passed each and everyone's cell, I wondered if maybe they should be set free, too.