Prologue

written: 09.17.23-11.06.23; 02.18.24-

So, this is a rewrite of an old fic I did quickly while at Disney, so it wasn't at the front of my mind. It was crap, so I took it down. I'm now rewriting the whole thing, as well as the plot.

-

She stopped running when she came to the middle of the forest in the middle of the trees. She remembered the last screams of her parents for her to run from the bear attack and the screams and horrible sounds that came as she booked it into the woods.

Now, standing in the clearing, she sat on the ground. She knew that nobody would come for her, but if the bear was going to attack, she was perfectly content to let it happen.

Besides...she felt she had to stay there for a reason.

-

Banners flew high above the campsite, showing that the Royal Family had come for the young prince's birthday. He hid under a table, giggling as his mother playfully stalked around it.

"Where are you? Come out. Come out. Come on out. I'm going to get you..."

She pulled the tablecloth off and looked underneath.

"Where are you, you little rascal! I'm coming to get you!"

Before she had pulled the cloth up, the boy had jumped up and ran away, showing her that there was nothing underneath.

Looking back up, she tapped her chin. "Where is my little birthday boy, hm? I'm going to gobble him up when I find him."

He came out from hiding in the tent and tried to sneak behind her, but she turned, finding him. Letting out a cry, she ran after him, grabbing him in her arms. "I'm going to eat you, I am!" she declared and pretended to eat him, both of them laughing.

As they played, the king dropped his bow on the table, taking a piece of chicken. His wife looked up disapprovingly. "Ach! Fergus! No weapons on the table," she scolded.

Her son had already jumped up from her lap, running for the bow and grabbing it off the table. "Can I shoot an arrow? Can I, can I, can I, can I? Please, can I?" He fell on his butt from holding the bow, still giggling.

"Not with that." Fergus chuckled, then stroked his grey stubble. "Why not...use one of your very own?" He took out a smaller, lighter colored bow and presented it to him, his baby blue eyes lighting up. "Happy birthday, my wee lad!"

-

"Now, there's a good boy," Fergus coached as the prince drew the arrow back. He was crouched down next to him with his wife in the back, looking worried with her hand on her chest. "Draw all the way back to your cheek. That's right. Keep both eyes open. And...loose!"

He shot and, like all the others he had shot, it missed, this time flying over the target instead of landing in front and sticking in the ground.

"I missed..."

The queen bent next to him, smiling. "Go and fetch it then."

After he ran off, the queen glared at Fergus. "A bow, Fergus? He's a child."

She cried out when his gave her bum a good tap. Even as he was laughing, she smacked him in the chest.

-

The prince ran into the woods, brushing up against the leaves. When he got to the darker part, his running slowed into a walk as he nervously looked around, listening to the lone birds cry out.

His excitement came back again when he saw the arrow stuck in a tree. Reaching up, he pulled it out of the bark. He turned to go back, but realized he was lost.

A hushed whisper brushed in his ear. Turning, he saw a small dot of blue, floating in front of him.

"A will-o'-the-wisp," he breathed, then reached out to touch it. When he did, it disappeared, letting out a soft whisper as it did. "They are real..."

He continued to chase them down, jumping after them, until he was led to a clearing. There, he saw the back of a h/c head, sitting there.

"Hello?" he called out, slowly walking up towards then.

The person jumped, on her feet in no time, and flipped around, backing away. She tripped backwards, now trying to crawl away backwards.

"No, no, wait! It's okay." He stopped, as did she.

"I'm...I'm Murdoch," he said after brief silence. "And I won't hurt you. My mum? She's Queen Elinor. She can help you." He held his hand out. The girl looked at it, then underneath it. When she determined it was safe, she took it.

He looked around and saw another wisp. He followed it, finding another trail.

"Come on. You're safe with me. Okay?"

She nodded and they followed the trail, the girl only looking at the prince on their way back, to a light of the sun and the edge of the forest.

"Murdoch? Come along, sweetheart! We're leavin' now!"

Relieved to be back, he ran back to camp, shouting, "I saw a wisp! I saw a wisp! And look at what they led me to!" He raised their arms. Elinor raised an eyebrow, but brushed that off to smile down at them.

"A wisp? You know, some people say that wil-o'-the-wisps lead you to your fate."

Beside her, Fergus rolled his eyes. "Aye. Or a lost girl."

Elinor scoffed as Fergus danced back to his stuff condescendingly. "Come on. Let's be off before we see a dancin' Tatty Bogle. Or a giant havin' a jigger in the bluebells."

She picked Murdoch and the girl he found up. "Your father doesn't believe in magic."

"Well, he should. Because it's true. It led me to her." He put one of his little arms around her, smiling at her.

"Where are your parents, dear?" Elinor asked. "Perhaps we can find them?"

Her eyes went blank as she pointed behind her. Murdoch looked and screamed. When Elinor turned quickly, she saw a giant bear with weapons and arrows stuck in his fur, ready to attack them.

"Mor'du! Elinor, run!" Fergus yelled at her. He and the soldiers surrounded him to protect the queen and children.

"Sire!" one of the guards tossed him a spear. He showed it to the bear, who swiped at it, breaking the head off. Undefeated, Fergus unsheathed his sword and charged.

Elinor, with both children still in her arms, rode away quickly, Murdoch looking behind him in fear for his father.

"Come on, you!" Fergus screamed at him, aiming his sword with his shield held high.

Mor'du jumped at him, his mouth wide open.

TOUCH THE SKY