Fate and Destiny

Some say our destiny is tied to the land. As much a part of us as we are of it. Others say fate is woven together like a cloth, so that one's destiny intertwines with many others.

It's the one thing we search for or fight to change. Some never find it. But there are some...who are led.

-

The story of how my father lost his leg to the demon bear Mor'du became legend.

Fergus tossed aside his sparring partners. One, however, was able to get him in his peg leg. He grunted up at him, then threw him, knocking him into the weapons.

-

I became a brother to three new princes. Hamish, Hubert, and Harris. Wee devils, more like.

As the handmaid and boys' nanny carried a plate of sweets, two of the boys grabbed at them. She looked back at them, letting the last boy take the whole plate and run off, replacing it with a vase of flowers in her arms.

Before she could catch them, he jumped out the window and they capitulated themselves into a hay wagon.

They can get away with murder. I can never get away with anythin'! [Oldest child problems 😭]

-

The one who really makes it all worth it is Y/n. After I found her...I never wanted to leave her alone.

As Murdoch did his target practice, Y/n sat close by on a lawn chair, threading together a tapestry just as Elinor had shown her. She looked up as Murdoch struck a bullseye, smiling encouragingly at him. He bit his lip and gave her a small nod, turning away when he felt his face flush.

She's my responsibility, after all. I'm the one that found her. A quiet one, she is. But, all the same, I love her.

-

Just as Murdoch took a bite from an apple, the doors opened, everyone starting at him.

In the front, Elinor sighed, embarrassed, then signaled for her son to smile. His father sat next to her and his little brothers on a small bench.

He swallowed, wiped his lips, and tossed the apple over his shoulder, grinning.

I'm the prince. I've got duties, responsibilities, expectations.

As he casually marched down the throne room to the sound of bagpipes, everyone bowed to him.

My whole life is planned out, preparin' for the day I become, well, my mother. She's in charge of every single day of my life.

He sat next to Fergus, putting his cheek in his hand. Elinor glared over her husband at him and he began speaking, the room now empty and Elinor gone.

"Aye, Robyn, Jolly Robyn, and thou shalt know of mine."

On the balcony above, Elinor demanded, "Project!" Y/n stood by her by the wall, her hands folded in front of her.

"AND THOU SHALT KNOW OF MINE!"

"Enunciate! You must be understood from everywhere in the room! Or it's all for not!"

Under his breath, he scoffed, "This is all for naught."

"I heard that."

He whined, wondering how she could not hear him screaming, but could hear his smartass reply from under his breath.

Y/n giggled lightly, hiding it behind her hand.

"From the top!"

-