Prologue

PROLOGUE

He curled up his legs so his head could fit in the crevice between them and his stomach, and he clutched his head with his hands, worrying. He knew she didn't want to stay in the woods with her becoming more rebellious, but there was no way he would let her go. He needed to show her there was still happiness without her mother, that she would be just fine. Even if he had to enforce it roughly.
He was sitting behind a clear, blue waterfall in a crevice in the rocks, and between a nightingale's song, and the water falling, he drifted to sleep.
He heard thunder crackle, and he jumped. Blinking, he realized that in the lightning he could sense his wife's spirit.
He saw his wife, beautiful as ever. Her black hair trailed to her stomach, and her lime green eyes glowed through the darkness.
"Evelyn?" he said, reaching toward her for a hug. Evelyn though, didn't hug him back.
"Snap out of it," she said, "You're dreaming, I'm sorry."
He blinked, tears filling his eyes. He missed her so much.
She walked towards him and slowly stroked his hair, murmuring, "You have to take care of her, she's the only thing you have left. Show her why she should stay."
"But how?" he asked woefully.
"You'll figure it out, I know you will. You always do," Evelyn whispered, hugging him quickly.
And when he blinked again, she was gone, disappearing into mist that now covered the forest.
He woke up abruptly, shivering. The waterfall in front of him thundered down heavily, and his vision started fogging. He noticed the fog around him getting heavy, and suspected a storm was rolling in.
Standing up, his breath was shallow and crisp, as if he was gasping for air.
I'll keep her here, he vowed, walking out of the crevice, even if it's the last thing I do. For Evelyn.