Chapter Three

Dreams are seeds of change. Nothing ever
grows without a seed, and nothing
ever changes without a dream
- Debby Boone

CHAPTER THREE
Brooklyn Winters

Brooklyn swiftly walked through the school halls towards her last class of the day, biology. As she was walking, she was surprised when Kenzie approached her.
Why am I surprised that Kenzie's here? We have biology together... she thought in embarrassment.
"Hey Brooks!" Kenzie exclaimed, looking at her with bright eyes. "Kendall and I are going shopping with Savanna after school, do you want to join us?"
"Sure, why not," Brooklyn responded, rolling her eyes at the nickname. She had nothing better to do anyways, except maybe fantasize about the woods.
"Great!" Kenzie said, and skipped into the biology classroom, taking her seat. Brooklyn's seat was on the other side of the classroom, but that didn't bother her. She got the window seat, and often she would stare out the window daydreaming.
Her biology teacher droned on about the carbon cycle, and Brooklyn quickly zoned out.
Brooklyn started to daydream about pine trees that towered over her head while the forest green needles gleamed in the sunlight. On the trees there were multiple bird nests, consisting of multiple songbirds, one of which was the nightingale. Below her, the ground was covered in fallen pine needles and loose dirt. She could see a little hole in the ground that a fox could fit into.
Before she knew it, class had passed by. She was lucky that it was the day before fall break, so she didn't really have to pay attention, because the teacher picked an easy lesson, knowing most wouldn't be paying attention.
"Brooks!" Kenzie basically sang, skipping towards her. "C'mon, you're gonna be late! Let's go!"
"How can we be late to shopping?" she asked, but Kenzie just grabbed her hand and skipped happily towards where Kendall and Savanna were.
At the mall, Kendall and Kenzie were ahead of Brooklyn talking, and Savanna stayed next to Brooklyn.
"You should come over after we're done shopping," Savanna told Brooklyn.
She shook her head, "Can't, I'm watching Paris. You could come over and help me if you wanted."
"Sure," Savanna said with a smile, and then her eyes went bright. "We're going to the cabin this weekend, you could come if you want!"
"Yes!" Brooklyn said, very enthusiastically, but changed her tone to seem more calm. "I'd love to!"
Savanna soon got distracted, seeing something in a window in a shop. She called Kendall and Kenzie, and the four entered the shop.

*~•~*

Brooklyn opened the door to her house, and again, was immediately greeted by Paris.
"Woah! Savanna's here!" Paris exclaimed, "Savanna's the best! Savanna, come, sit! Sit!"
Savanna glanced at Brooklyn, and Brooklyn gave Savanna a look of pity. Paris grabbed Savanna's hand and pulled her towards the couch.
"Woahh, girl chill!" Savanna laughed. "I have to talk to Brooklyn, we're going to go camping this weekend."
"Can I come?!" Paris squealed.
"No, Paris, maybe next time," Savanna said, shaking her head in amusement.
Paris' smile faded slightly, and Brooklyn took a chance to take Savanna up to her room away from her little sister.
"So, it's Friday today," Savanna said, "And tomorrow we'll leave for the cabin. So I'm thinking I'll stay the night here, because my bag's already packed and I can help you get ready!"
Brooklyn smiled, and nodded. "You should definitely stay the night. I'll have to ask my mom but you know she always says yes."
"Let's play a board game while we wait," Savanna said.
Brooklyn nodded, and took out a few games. Savanna chose Sorry! first, so the two started setting that up.
Savanna chose green, and Brooklyn chose blue.
"Move backwards four," Savanna muttered to herself, and moved a piece.
"Move forwa–" Brooklyn started, but was cut off by Paris throwing the bedroom door open.
She accidentally tripped over the Sorry! board, knocking off all of the pieces.
"Oops! Sorry!" she squeaked. "Anywayyyyysssss, Mom's home! And you forgot to do my hair Brooklyn!"
"I don't have time for that, Paris!" Brooklyn said, cleaning up the Sorry! board.
Savanna stood up. "Let's go talk to your mother, Brooklyn."
Brooklyn followed Savanna out the bedroom door, and went downstairs to her mother.
The rest of the night went by in a blur, and soon Brooklyn and Savanna were laying in Brooklyn's fairy-light lit loft bed.
"I was thinking that Aubrey could join us tomorrow, at the cabin," Savanna said. "You know, she's new, and she seems cool so I think we should get to know her."
Brooklyn nodded, yawning. She liked the idea of getting to know Aubrey. She could sense she wasn't always very comfortable with her surroundings, and that made Brooklyn want to know her more.
"Forgot you go to bed early," Savanna laughed. "Goodnight, sleepyhead."