Chapter One - Pressure and Boredom

May. School days are fast approaching. It seems like I need to put my head back to the game. Almost a month of vacation has not given me enough time to sort out my interest. A few days from now, I will be a freshman again. A college freshman. Wow. Great. And I don't know what course should I take yet. I have never believed myself to be good enough for anything that college has to offer. I mean, gosh, the courses- they all sounded difficult. I don't know what to pursue. And in my family, I think I'm the only one who lacks the talent and the guts. I might as well consider myself adopted or any of that sort.

At any rate, I still have to continue to study. It's not like there's something I can do about it anyway. My parents are the top notchers of the Law bar exams during their respective batches. My brother was the most well-known engineer of his generation. My twin sister graduated Valedictorian in high school and is famous for making it to the list of the World's Brilliant Young Minds. My family is a legacy of greatness and eminence. And I'm afraid I'm turning out to be an exception to that family title which is so frustrating because everyone in this darn community expects a lot from the youngest of Dela Luna family. Gee, every time I step out of our lawn, I always feel that the pressure is on!

I started writing down on the application forms that are scattered in my desk. One is for the Imperial College of Pre-Law, the other for the University of Los Angeles, another one for the Washington State University. I never wanted to go in any of those schools. But I'm not sure if I want to go anywhere either. After filling up the information needed on the forms, I headed to the post office to mail those. If every student wishes to be qualified in any of those prestigious universities and colleges, I do not. I just wanted to figure out my passion and start working on it. Lucky me, there's still none that I seem to enjoy doing. Gosh!

I headed back home on a rush to catch up for my favourite TV show. Well, that's me. Nothing seems to excite me more than the fictitious life of the characters in my favourite story. I just gather bliss and joy from them since I cannot find any in my boring life. On my way, there seems to be someone who's following me way back when I was in the post office. I didn't give much attention since he looks like going the same direction as mine. But as I drew nearer to our house, he seems to come closer to me that it became awkward if it were just a simple passerby. I began to think cautiously. But before I can confirm my hunch, I felt lightheaded by the scent that was suddenly forced upon my nostrils.