Sweeney Todd 2023 cast recording

The 2023 cast recording of Sweeney Todd has finally been released!
So excited to finally hear it!
Some of the songs were released early, so I've already heard those ones. I will still be listening to the full thing and posting my reactions tho.

• That Prelude was incredible!

• That Dies Irae reference at the end of Prelude!

• Was preparing to be jump-scared by The Whistle™️, and was relieved to not be.

• This ensemble is so talented!

• I've already heard this version of The Ballad of Sweeney Todd, it was one of the early releases, but wow, I'm always impressed!

• The diminuendo on the word "moralize" 👌

• This sounds so crisp and clear!

• JOSH GROBAN!!!!!!

• He's so great!

• Finally gonna hear some more Jordan Fisher!

• Is he doing an accent?

• He's so amazing!

• Sweeney completely cutting him off, lol

• Loving Josh Groban's delivery of these lines!

• Ruthie Ann Miles is amazing as Beggar Woman so far!

• Her constant mood/tone shift, lol

• Josh's voice 👌

• I swear this reaction will be more than just me fangirling over Josh Groban.
(It'll also be me fangirling over Annaleigh Ashford)
(For real tho, I'll be acknowledging everyone.)

• That orchestra!

• Poor Mrs. Lovett sounds like she's really going through it.
(Probably because she is.)

• "But good? NO."
Love Annaleigh Ashford's delivery of this line!

• The way she sings, "You'll need it" down the octave!
Absolutely loving the choices she's making!

• That final "Times is hard" gives me Kristen Chenoweth vibes.

• The way she says, "People think it's haunted!"
She sounds so done with everything, lol.
Like, "I swear it's not haunted, please just rent this place so I won't be poor!"

• The way she talks about Benjamin Barker! She sounds so smiley, but then hurt, like she's happy when thinking of him, but also in pain from missing him.
Maybe I'm reading way too much into it, but that's the vibe I get from her voice.

• "There were these two, ya see, oof."
Lol
She's like, "I know who these two are and where this story is going, and all I can say is big oof."

• She sounds so happy when talking about Johanna too!

• Her tone changed at the end of the sentence, but while saying, "You do like a good story," she almost sounded a bit sarcastic.
Again, the whole, "Oof, I know how this story ends, and it ain't good."
Her tone does shift towards the end of that sentence, so it's definitely not sarcasm, but for a moment, it almost sounded like it was gonna be.

• I love how theatrical and dramatic she sounds in this song. Really giving the vibes of, "I'm telling a story."
Kinda gives me the vibe that she isn't fully aware that Sweeney is Benjamin, and that she's just telling this story the way one might normally tell a story, and not really for the sake of exposition or anything. Again, this is just how it sounds to me, idk what Annaleigh Ashford is actually going for.