13

They walked to the house in silence after the ceremony. The ring felt cold on Harlan's finger. She looked to the sky. Was Gladion proud of her? She couldn't tell if he would be or not.

Blaise was also very quiet. He'd gotten out of the hospital a few days ago. It wasn't a serious injury, but he'd been told to take it easy for a while. He had his head down as they walked.

"Everything OK, Blai?" Harlan asked.

"Yep." He didn't say anything else. She wondered what was wrong.

"Did something happen?" she inquired further.

"No. I'm just tired. Don't worry about me," he reassured her, looking at her. His eyes had developed dark shadows beneath them from lack of sleep. His hand was warm in hers. "We've had a long night. Let's get some rest in our new room."

The newlywed rulers of Alola made their way upstairs, only to find a surprise in their room. Blaise's friends were standing there, waiting for him.

"What?" he asked, confused.

"You didn't think we wouldn't know when you stole our hostage & ran away with her?" Tabitha asked. He didn't sound angry, but was smiling instead. "You've done a good deed, I'll give you that."

"I guess so. Sorry I didn't tell any of you," Blaise apologized hastily. "What are you all doing here anyway? I assume it isn't to chew me out?"

"Nah. We wanted to congratulate you." The two male Admins were smiling, however Courtney wasn't. She was glaring jealously at Blaise, who refused to look at her. "They broadcast the entire wedding on TV. Our little friend has grown up, huh, guys?" Tabitha asked his colleagues.

"For sure!" Mitch replied. Courtney didn't say a word. Blaise took note of this.

"...Hey," Blaise said to her, finally daring to look. "I'm sorry it didn't work out."

"Whatever." Courtney's voice was a growl. "I don't need anyone."

Blaise looked uncomfortable but he didn't press further. "It's really nice of you guys to visit but we wanted to get some rest," he said.

"We'll go. But not until you hear this. We got into your militia. We'll be closer than ever!" Tabitha exclaimed.

"That's great!" Harlan said.

"No hard feelings, yeah?" Tabitha asked, now aware of her. "I'm sorry about everything. It was part of the job. But we've moved on."

"It's fine. Thank you." Harlan smiled at him.

"Anyway, we'll go. Have a good night." Tabitha led the two other ex Admins out of the room, leaving Blaise & Harlan alone. Harlan collapsed onto the bed. Blaise immediately curled up & closed his eyes. She heard his breaths slow. Satisfied, Harlan covered both him & herself with the blanket; she hugged him as they fell asleep together. Today was good. Maybe Alola wasn't so bad after all.

End