4

J

Weeks later, I snapped a few final pictures of the SS World Odyssey as I disembarked for the last time. I made sure to capture several shots of the rock wall that I often climbed alone, the towering decks that I walked every morning, and the part of the ship I was certain to miss most. The stern where I spent most of my down time sipping coffee and writing letters to "friends" who hardly ever wrote back.

Tucking my camera into my bag, I let up my umbrella and walked to the luggage holding area. I pushed my way through all the teary-eyed reunions and found my two suitcases. One for the romance books, one for the clothes.

I pulled out my phone and saw what I hadn't seen for more than minutes at a time in over three years. Actual bars for cell phone service.

I scrolled down to my father's name and hit call, hoping like hell he wouldn't answer.

"Jennie?" He crushed my hopes after one ring. "Jennie, you're back today?"

"Yeah."

"Wow. For some reason, I thought it was tomorrow."

Because I told you it was tomorrow. "Well, no. I just got off the ship, and I'm about to catch a cab to my apartment for the fall. I can send you the address when I get there."

"Well, if you want to wait twenty minutes or so, me and Stella can come and get you. It looks like it's about to storm."

"No, that's okay." My stomach churned at the mention of his second wife's name. "I'll get a cab and hit you up later."

"Okay, well..." He paused. "I'm so glad you're back home safe, and I've enjoyed the correspondence and pictures that you frequently sent home. I also appreciate you using the ship's phone to call me every other Sunday. It almost feels like you never left." He was quiet again. "I love you."

"Love you, too, Dad." I ended the call, feeling a familiar ache in my chest. Whenever the two of us spoke, the words "I love you" always rang hollow, and I always felt like something was missing.

As the soft drizzle became a downpour, I made my way to the taxi platform and waved down the first yellow car.

"Where to, Miss?" The driver opened the back door for me before placing my luggage into the trunk.

"235 Beach Tree Cove."

He nodded and sped off onto the street.

As he drove, I stared out the window and took in all the things I truly missed about this town. The open-air cafes that lined Main Street, the boutique hotels and carnival pier that sat on the tourists' side of the beach, and the white sand that stretched along the entire side of our town's beautiful coast. Even in the pouring rain, the town was perfectly picturesque, and I couldn't wait to explore it all over again in the sunlight.

Half an hour later, the cab stopped in front of 235 Beach Tree Cove, and I double checked to make sure the address was correct. I gave the driver a tip for rolling my luggage to the front door, and the second he drove away, I rang the doorbell.

No answer.

I rang it again.

No answer, again.

Confused, I knocked on the door as hard as I could.

It immediately swung open, and I found myself face to face with Nayeon, a girl I'd shared a voyage with the previous semester.

"Jennie Kim?" She smiled. "I can't believe you're finally off the ship! What the heck are you doing here?"

"I'm living here, remember?" I handed her an olive branch that I'd preserved from Greece. "I sent you a letter in the mail and told you I was willing to be your roommate. I can get the deposit money from my dad tomorrow."