| 5 |

Let Me Down Slowly | Alec Benjamin

⁂ ⁂ ⁂

The entire time in class, Nova was complaining about a massive headache. She had to stay put until lunch, and now we were walking to our seats with a tray filled with different foods.

Mine consisted of chicken salad and crisps, as hers was all green and healthy.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I ask her, concerned at how she kept looking at everyone. "You're doing that face again."

"I know. Don't worry, it's still considered your iconic expression, Babes. I'm not stealing it." She conveys, talking about how annoyed and irritated she looked. "Resting bitch face doesn't really suit me."

I roll my eyes as she continues telling me about how she was planning on giving Ezekiel a unique gift for his birthday, which was in a month. At our customary long table in the spacious hall, we take a seat. The hall is full of students talking, eating, and dropping food.

It was a long wooden table with chairs on either side, along with eight more such tables placed parallel to each other. We both sit and start on our food when I hear two loud voices chatting their way over. I recognized both voices but was only pleased with one of them.

Walking over to us, Ezekiel takes the seat in front of Nova, and the annoying brat sits in front of me.

"Hey, baby." He pecks her lips and then turns to me. "Hey, Lani."

I smiled in return. Azrael looks up and rolls his eyes as I ignore him.

His tie hung loose around his neck, and it irked me. This idiot couldn't possibly survive a day without a tardy uniform.

I decided to just shut my mouth and avoid talking to him. I was still pissed about that evening. Just as I start eating, something hits my ankles.

What the hell?

I immediately tip my head down and look at my legs underneath the table.

"What's wrong?" Nova asks, confused at my actions.

"I felt something hit my ankle," I say, equally confused.

Spotting an orange beside my shoes, I quickly bent down and picked it up, bringing it into view. Nova looks at it and chuckles as Zeke joins in.

I didn't know why they were laughing, but I did too.

"Hey! Lani, that's mine!" Ian walks over, a silly smile plastered on his face. "Sorry."

Azrael looks at him as a sly smile works its way onto his face. His face showed hesitation, but then he opened his stupid mouth, regardless.

"Done throwing your pathetic heart at her, so now you're throwing oranges, is it?" Azrael taunts.

"At least whatever I've thrown is reaching her." Ian states back, confidence overtaking his voice.

"Don't talk about shit that doesn't concern you," Azrael replies with a tone that was somewhere between rude and defensive.

"Likewise, Az, likewise." Ian gives him a knowing smile and then turns to me. "Yeah, um, sorry for that. I was just balancing a tray."

"It's fin-"

"Apparently otters aren't very good at balancing either." Azrael interrupts, looking down at Ian.

Ian, in return, simply shrugs, not acknowledging the fact that he is being referred to as an otter.