*Chapter 9*

I paced around in my prison. It had been nightfall for a long time now, and I hadn't found any way out. Then I heard footsteps on the stairs.

"Help! I'm locked in!" I cried, hoping someone could open the door despite Mal's enchantment.

But it was a loathsome voice that responded.

"Stop screaming. No one can hear you."

Mal then opened the door and entered the room, followed by the other VKs. They all looked at me with disgust.

"You betrayed us," Carlos said, struggling to articulate his words.

"I can explain..." I began.

"Explain what?" Jay exclaimed, advancing toward me. "We're here for the wand!"

"And we intend to steal it," Evie added, tossing her hair over her shoulder.

Jay and Evie left the room. Carlos looked at me with a mix of sadness and disgust.

"Carlos," I said hastily, "listen to me..."

"I would have preferred not to have a sister. At least, I wouldn't have been disappointed," he replied.

"Carlos!"

The door closed, and I collapsed on the floor, tears streaming down my cheeks. I had lost everything. My brother, my friends...

I began to sing, sitting on the wooden floor of the tall tower.

(Put Hurts like hell, Tommee Profit, Fleurie)

The day arrived, illuminating the room with golden reflections. I had fallen asleep on the bed. My red, swollen eyes stung, but I paid no attention to them. I had lost everything. But it was necessary to save those who still had so much to lose. Maleficent must not have the wand.

I thought for hours. I tried to pry the wooden floorboards. I attempted to find an emergency exit. Night had fallen, and it was time for the coronation. I had only one option left.

I approached the window and leaned out of the frame. Stones jutted out here and there from the wall. With a bit of luck, I could grip onto them. It was pitch dark now, but I had to stop the VKs at all costs.

So, I went out the window and gingerly placed my feet on one end. And I started descending, slowly, my stomach churning. I fumbled in the darkness to find something to place my feet and hands on.

But when I placed my foot on one of the holds, it crumbled. I found myself with both feet in the void. I let out a scream of terror. My hands slipped on the too-smooth stone. And the ground was far below...

External POV.

A scream of terror echoed through the night, abruptly cutting off the joyful cries. Carlos and Jay exchanged a glance.

"Calia..." Carlos murmured, his eyes wide with worry.

"We need to help her!" Jay exclaimed to Mal and Evie.

Mal shook her head.

"It's a trap. She's ready to do anything to stop us, but she's not brave. She can't do anything from her tower."

"What if she went out the window?" Carlos panicked, starting to rise on his tiptoes in the hope of seeing the tower.

"She would never dare," Mal replied, rolling her eyes.

"You don't know her," Carlos retorted, about to go and join his sister.

Mal grabbed him by the arm and pulled him back.

"We're too far away," Mal hissed. "If she went out the window, there's nothing we can do. Now, we need to steal the wand."

Carlos nodded, glanced one last time towards the tower, and followed Mal, his thoughts focused on his sister. The last thing he had said to her was that he would have preferred if she had never been born. But he loved his little Calia with her naivety and kindness. She was an angel in the wrong place. Jay squeezed his friend's shoulders and followed Evie, who walked in silence. They were all worried, even Mal, who told herself that she was only afraid that Calia would disrupt her plans. But deep down, Calia's determination had impressed her, and a hint of sympathy now appeared, perhaps too late.

"Look!" a girl shouted, pointing to the sky.

The VKs looked up. A shadow passed over them.

"It's Evan!" the Fairy Godmother cried. "Guards! Stop him! The coronation must not be interrupted!"

Several men stood at the entrance of the building while others rushed towards the castle in a noisy clamor of shouts.

Evan paid no attention to the cries of the guards ordering him to stop. He had only one thing in mind—the scream of fear from Calia, which had echoed through the forest like a bad omen.

Then there was another cry, weaker, a cry of pain. And he saw her, suspended above the void. She held on with only one hand. Calia wouldn't hold on for long. Arrows flew in Evan Pan's direction. He skillfully dodged them. Five meters from the young girl, he thought he could save her.

But her hands decided otherwise. Calia fell in a cry of terror. The guards below saw her fall paralyzed by fear. Evan dove. The ground was getting closer and closer. 10 meters. 5 meters. 2 meters. His arms wrapped around her waist and behind her head. They could never go back up. Evan cushioned Calia's fall with his body.

The guards saw the two young people crash against the ground. And not move anymore...