Chapter Four: Getting Ready

Annabeth's Pov

I walked into the Athena Cabin after eating breakfast. I had some delicious pancakes with strawberries and a bit of Nutella spread over the top. I had originally planned to go over to Percy's table and ask him...a question. But I chickened out. But it ended up fine, Percy had asked me to meet him at the stables, but then soon after sitting back down at my table, I noticed him scrambled back down the hill to his cabin. I wondered why, and felt a weird flittering feeling in my stomach. I pushed it down and shook it off.

I walked over to my dresser, glad that none of my siblings had come to the cabin and were still eating. I pulled out a freshly washed beige sweatshirt, it was wooly and cozy and bunched up at the sleeves. Usually, I wear it on a chilly, relaxing day while reading. I put on some black tights and a pleated white skirt. It was an outfit I would've normally worn during the fall months, but this summer was chilly and felt like a cold November. I walked over to my shoe bin and grabbed some boots, putting them over the socks I'd layered on top of the tights.

I looked in the mirror and frowned at my wild, frizzy hair. I clawed my hands through the untamable curls, trying to keep them in place but sighed when I realized the chilly wind would blow them back into view either way. I quickly pulled my hair into two sections and loosely French braided them, leaving wild grace-framing curls that would refuse to stay put.

I grabbed some gold earrings, shaped like a constellation. I clicked them on, then walked over to my bed. I smiled at a photo of me and Percy, two or three years ago, 12 years old and smiling goofily at a camera with our arms around each other. I noticed something around my neck, something I'd forgotten about. I gasped and pulled the back of the frame off, revealing a shell necklace. The same one I had clasped around my neck in the photo. I smiled, remembering Percy shyly handing it to me all those years ago. I put it on, wrapping my fingers against the shell and smiling to myself.

I grabbed a book, in case Percy ended up wanting to go to the beach or something. I smiled to myself, thinking about him. He's gotten so much taller over the school year. And even though he's covered it with a hoodie, I could tell he'd gotten stronger. It gave me a weird butterfly feeling in my stomach, but I ignored it. I was just happy to be with my best friend, that was it.

After I finished getting ready, I left my cabin and began looking for Percy. I saw him waiting with his hands in his pockets, his eyes wandering the landscapes of the camp. My jaw almost dropped at the sight of him.

He wore a navy blue turtleneck sweater that complemented him amazingly. I could tell the flannel he wore was to cover himself up, either to hide himself or because of the weather. Either way it looked...so different on him. He still wore some worn out jeans and his usual shoes, converse with doodles, but something about him looked older. I didn't know if it was the outfit, or the way he'd artfully mused his hair, but it looked good.

He turned towards me suddenly, smiling. His smile sent a shock through me, had his smile always been so..bubbly feeling? I can't explain it, not even to myself.

He waved me over, and I brushed off my thoughts and jogged over.

"Hey, Kelp Head." I said, smiling.

"Wise Girl." He grinned, taking my arm and dragging me off to the stables. I felt my heart skip a beat when he grabbed my arm, but it didn't matter. I just continued following him.