Four

It's Saturday again and you're reading a bridal magazine trying to pick out your bridesmate dress. Lyla doesn't care what style it is only that it's mint green. "That's not your usual books" You look up. "Oh. Hi Peter." "So why are you looking at wedding dresses?" "I'm looking at the bridesmate dresses actually. My friend Lyla is getting married. I'm gonna be a bridesmaid. She only said the dress has to mint green, she doesn't care about the style." "Tough choice." "Exactly. Besides that they managed to get a slot in two months because of a cancellation. So I have to find a dress and get it altered very soon. Not to mention find a date within the next month so we can rsvp them. It's a mess. Anyway how's your week been?" "Pretty good actually." You notice him shifting from leg to leg. "Oh. Sit down. Here I'll move my bag." You move your bag to your feet and place a leg through the strap. "I've never seen someone do that before." "Do what before?" "Put their leg through the strap. Why?" "If someone tries to steal it they can't, my leg being through the strap prevents it. I didn't always live in the cushy part of the city." "Oh." "So we were talking about your week?" "Right. Well we're right on schedule for the building, everyone on the site loves Mary." "You brought Mary to the construction site? Is that safe?" "I got her her own hard hat. It's pink." "Okay. I suppose that's safe enough, it is what everyone else wears right?" "Yes." "Anything else?" "I've got two tickets to the theatre for tomorrow evening." "Oh what show?" "Orpheus In Love." "I didn't take you for a fan of greek mythology." "What?" "Orpheus in love is from greek mythology." "Oh." "You didn't know that did you?" "No." "How'd you get the tickets?" "They were a gift from a client." "That's very nice of them. Most I tend to get from clients is a meal and maybe some flowers sent to the office." "That's not all they gave me." "Really what else did you get?" "A paid meal for two comes with the tickets." "Very nice. You'll have to decide who you're taking." "I was wondering if..." "Wondering what Peter?" "If you would be my date for the theatre and dinner?" "Me?" "You don't have to if you don't want to." "I love the theatre and greek mythology. But are you sure you want to take me and not one of those many women who give you their phone numbers. Or maybe even Jack or Michael?" Peter sighs "I don't want to take Jack or Michael." "You still have plenty of other women to choose from. So why me?" "Because I like you Jean. I don't even look at those numbers the women give me when I'm with Mary. None of us do." "You like me? Why?" "You're smart, charming, you're great with Mary, you're a pretty funny drunk, and you're beautiful." "I see." Peter smirks "Besides I know I'm your type and you think I'm attractive and have amazing legs." "Oh god, why couldn't you have been drunk enough to forget that." "Sorry sweetheart I'm not letting you live that down for a long time." "How about we make a deal." "What kind of deal?" "I go on this date with you tomorrow to the theatre and dinner, we'll see how it goes. And you'll not bring up my drunk confession again." "Deal. I'll pick you up at 430. Dinner starts at 5." "How about I meet you at your place?" "Why?" "It's just something my mother taught me when I was a teenager. Always have your own vehicle just in case. Plus it gives me an excuse to drive my car. She hasn't been out of her space in a year." "You actually own a car in New York City?" "I didn't always live in the city you know. I grew up in upstate. I moved to the city about 7 years ago. I love my car but she's not practical in the city so she stays in the garage. I take her out on occasion when I take a client outside the city. Or for special occasions." "Tell you what, I'll take a taxi to your place and we can take your car to the theatre. I can always catch another taxi from there if the night doesn't go well and you'll still have your own car. Plus I'm curious to what kind of car you have." "Well it's not a girly car, I'll warn you that much." "Okay." "Geez Peter you gonna spend the whole day gabbing or are you gonna play some frisbee?!" You laugh at Jack saying that. "Go on. Your friends are waiting. I'll see you tomorrow evening." "So taxi to your place?" "Yes. We'll take my car to the theatre." "See you tomorrow night." "See you then."