Chapter Ten.

**Descriptions of violence, blood and gore, and bloodlust. Read at your own discretion!**

The pressure on my shoulders from the mere weight of the combined looks of Toby and Jack was nearly enough to topple me to the ground.

They were looking at me expectantly; even if I chose not to meet their gazes I could feel them, searing my skin, trying to look through me to see what I might say or how I might react. There was no closure I could offer them, no defining thing I could say, no action I could take to satiate them, not when my mind and emotions were so deeply blurred by a flurry of pure instinctual desire.

Destruction.

I craved it. I wanted to see Laughing Jack fall to his knees, soaked in his own blood and choking back on gurgled apologies as the life left his eyes by my hand. I wanted nothing more than to seek vengeance for Ben; perhaps the only reason I was able to hold myself back from ripping a path directly to the mansion was knowing that he was mine in due time.

Still, eyes on me only served as a bitter reminder that it was all real; if they were waiting for a reaction, then what I had seen and what I had heard, what all of us had, it was real.

I let my hands fall limply from my hair to dangle at my sides; skin-covered fingers twitched with bloodlust that just couldn't be acted on fast enough.

"You both heard him. We meet them where brick touches water,"

I turned to face them slowly, making sure to acknowledge Toby first; Jack wasn't going to be given immediate respect from me, and he would have had to be dumb not to assume so.

"Except what the fuck does that mean?"

A voice, gravelly and laced with exhaustion came out of me; I couldn't recognize it. No, I wouldn't recognize it.

The same voice that now strained itself not to cry for Ben had been the same voice straining itself not to cry for Jack, and when I made the horrid mistake of stealing a glance at the asshole, I knew I wasn't the only one experiencing unfortunate recognition.

"..think it means Tim's old hospital,"

I wrenched myself out of my own mind and focused on Toby's voice; he had always been a guiding light in incredibly dark times and I knew that wasn't going to change. 

At least he has the decency to stay consistent.

I aimed the thought at Jack; I was purposefully being unnecessarily petty knowing he wouldn't dare respond to me in the same way I had reached out. I had been his emotional punching bag for quite a long time, perhaps now was his turn to return the favor.

"I mean, it's quite an obvious place for us to go. I'm sure this clown has done research on us, that is if he hasn't been being fed direct information,"

I could feel myself locking onto Jack; an unknown feeling coursed within me. When he spoke, all I could think about was what it might take for me to ensure he never spoke again.

How hard would it be, really, to close my hands around his neck? Wrap my fingers, one by one, all the way around? Would his breath strain in his throat? Would I feel his pulse quicken under my fingertips?

I tried to shake the thoughts from my mind, to center myself; it wasn't working.

"Toby,"

I tried to call out for him, my voice still shaky and unfamiliar; his attention snapped to me instantly.