HEA04

TRI

The next morning Allison bombarded me with photo messages. She's taken nanay to Baguio and she's making me jealous. Simula nang ipakilala ko si Allison kay nanay almost six years ago, para na rin akong nagkaroon ng kahati sa atensiyon ni nanay— in a good way. Allison is not just my best friend, she's my sister too. And her being around nanay while I'm gone, it keeps my heart and mind at ease. At least, I know someone I truly trust will always look after her. Not that I don't trust my parents, but they are too busy to do that for her. Tumatanda na si nanay pero nagpapasalamat pa rin ako na hanggang ngayon ay malakas pa siya.

I replied to her messages by sending her a photo of me and nanay in Singapore. Last January, I took her abroad because it's been always my dream for her to see the world. My family's rich and she's been working for us for my whole life, but she's never been out of town. I offered her to stay with me three years ago when I told her I was settling here, however, she refused. And I know why. I grew up with her and she knows what's exactly I needed and wanted. I want to be free. To live on my own.

Allison replied with an emoji before she video-called me.

"Ang matandang dalaga na kasama ko ngayon ay tinatanong kung maaabutan pa ba raw niya na magpakasal ang alaga niya habang nabubuhay pa siya."

I rolled my eyes at what she said.

She smirked at me and finally showed nanay. God, I miss her so much.

"Nasabi sa'kin ni Allison na nagkita ulit kayo ni Dax, Tri." Nanay said.

"Secret lang dapat 'yun." I heard Allison whisper but I'm so sure that she wants me to hear it.

"I know what you are doing, Allison."

"I'm not doing anything—"

I cut her off. "Whatever. Si nanay ang gusto kong kausap hindi ikaw."

"That's hurt." She still teased.

I ignored her and tried to catch up with my nanay's life while I was preparing my breakfast. Madalas akong gumigising ng alas kwatro y media upang magkape at tumambay saglit sa terrace bago mag-prepare ng umagahan at lunch na ibabaon ko sa school. If I'm going to look back, I'm not quite sure if my old self could do this. The old me is used to just waiting for things to hand over to her. Even when I started to live on my own back in college, I felt like I was never like this way. Maybe it has to do with the environment— the people here don't really know how I am treated back in the City, and I can be who I really want to become here. They treat me like a typical person—no impressions to make.

"Anak, Tri, nagbibiro lang kanina si Allison tungkol sa paghihintay kong makasal ka,"

Pinatong ko ang aking cellphone sa lamesa at lumapit sa niluluto kong tocino sa stove. I looked at my phone over my shoulder.

"I know, 'nay." I smiled assuringly at her.

Tipid siyang ngumiti. Muli akong lumapit sa lamesa upang makita nang malapitan ang screen at napansin kong mas dumami ang puti niyang buhok kaysa noong huli naming kita. She's really getting older. And I hate to think that anytime sooner, she'll be gone in my life.

I wish that this life doesn't require any sacrifices. But, cliché may it sound, we can't really have all the things we want. I love nanay and no matter how I want to spend the rest of her life with me, I have a responsibility in this town. I am called for this town. I cannot leave the kids who need me here. It's the same reason why I left Dax three years ago. I love both of them, but I need to be here.

"Pero tumatanda na 'ko," patuloy niya sa nagbibirong tono.

I stared at her and I knew—although she's not saying it aloud—that she's really waiting for me to settle down. I think it's every parent's dream to see their child marry before they leave. Considering my nanay's generation, she believes that I need a husband.