Part III

Leira was right, she knew exactly where she was now. There was only one car parked on the driveway and it was Kate's. Now she remembered why today had to be the day. Her parents were supposed to be gone for the weekend at the lake and not a record of another being living at her residence. Kate made it too easy, made herself too vulnerable. Being alone must've been nice while it lasted...

The sidewalk was pitch black as most of the houses that surrounded on either side remained unlit. The night lay still and the wind grew calm. Absolute silence had washed over her as the only sound was the steady clack of her boots against the pavement. Ariel was frightened and thrilled as the fear fueled her movement along Kate Crowley's street. She tugged tight on the strap of her bag as if it were to be snatched from her grip. No one could know what she was up to. After all, only one life was supposed to end tonight and it wasn't about to be her own. 

The clacking slowed and her legs stopped moving. This was it, this was the house. It was Kate's empty house. The porch was dark, similar to her neighbors' and only one window reflected light- Kate's bedroom. Ariel took the opportunity and ran on her toes to the back door, dodging the tall shrubs that lay on either side of it. A motion light flashed on and immediately her heart pounded in her ears. 

Leira must've heard the pounding too. You're fine. Check the lock and grow up. 

She took in a large breath and wiggled the handle back and forth. The glass door clicked open and Ariel cautiously stepped into the quiet, desolate home. The house was aphotic with only a small, flashing green light reflecting from the fridge. She was going through with this, she was really doing it. She hastily tiptoed along the carpeted, spiral staircase- careful to not be seen. From upstairs, a music box sang and with each step, Ariel got closer to the song. But before she made another stride, her hand glided against the wall and she slid into the closest room to reconvene. 

"What happens now? What do I do now?" Ariel whispered. 

Go in for the kill.

"Leira, I can't. I can't. I really ca-"

Ariel's eyes flashed and suddenly a girl appeared in front of her- only, it wasn't Kate Crowley. It was much worse. At her feet, was a girl in a strapped, black dress and dark heels. It was a girl who looked exactly as Ariel, the similar green eyes and identical blonde hair. She wore a nasty scorn with a right hand on her hip. This girl was supposed to be make believe, someone that didn't actually exist. But, now she had taken form and this was no longer a game of pretend. This girl was Leira- solid, human Leira. 

Leira walked the perimeter of the room, slowly tapping her chin. Finally, her cloned eyes made contact and her brows furrowed, "So, are you really going to back out now? After all of this? Wow. What a waste of time, Ariel. I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed in you."

Ariel tilted her head at the ground, keeping her voice down so that Kate couldn't hear. "She might've been awful to me, but no one deserves this. This isn't right. What are people going to think of me if they find out what I'm going to do to her?"

Leira took fast strides across the room and stood inches away from her face. She looked her up and down with disgust, "Stand up for yourself. No one is going to know. End her, Ariel. Now's your only chance- better get it done while you can." 

She walked into Ariel and faded. Ariel really was alone now. The music box continued playing from Kate Crowley's bedroom, only louder now. She leaned down and slowly lifted the heavy blade from the bag, setting the tote carefully on the carpeted floor. Drawing herself up, she held the knife behind her as her hands shook with anxiousness and clammed with adrenaline. As she motioned at the end of the hall, Kate's humming rang to the sound of the music box with every dancing note. Kate graciously sat in front of the mirror vanity, taking both earrings off and setting down them down on a metal tray. She then began mindlessly brushing her long, shiny, brunette hair to the sound of the twinkling box. This was it, these would be the final few breaths of Kate Crowley's existence. 

Ariel took slow steps into the room, careful not to be heard. Her attention focused on the source of the music on the vanity table top. Inside the singing jewelry box, a small ballerina figurine turned on the slow, metal plate with a lifeless smile. Ariel glanced at the humming, dark-haired girl sitting beside it, tightly gripping the dagger that rested on the line of her back. Today was the day and now was the time. Kate glanced at a new reflection in the mirror, and shot out of her seat with a piercing scream. Ariel raised the blade and slammed it down...

The knife stabbed into the wooden, white vanity.

"I AM NOT YOU! YOU DON'T OWN ME, LEIRA!" Ariel sunk to her knees with blustering, screaming sobs with her face in her palms. "I am not you..." She whispered.