Part II

Ariel's eyes focused on an indent in the white wall as the pen in Dr. Lancaster's hand clicked up and down against the plastic clipboard. He adjusted his glasses, resting them back on the bridge of his angular nose and his voice broke the stillness. "Okay. Your mother has informed me that this would be our last session for some time. So, I want to know. How have you been? Any problems lately?" 

She kept her attention to the wall as she shook her head no. How could she possibly think of his questions when her mind was on hurting another girl, an innocent. Today was the day.

"Ariel, I am only here to help. I need to know if the voice is resurfacing your thoughts. It's okay to be honest with me. Has Leira made any reappearances?"

He already gave me a name for the anti- you. Your little 'doctor' will put us both in a crazy house. I mean don't worry about it, right? Go ahead, spill your secrets. I'm sure you'll be best friends when he tells your mom again. 

Her head was throbbing now. She scrunched her eyes and relaxed while swallowing down her dishonesty, her focus remained at the same jagged spot, "No." She replied.

He shook his head at the floor and took in a large breath, "I can't help you if you don't want it, Ariel. You are diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, this is serious. Either you cooperate or this session is concluded."

She gradually turned her head, attention now at her reflection in the therapist's glasses. Her stoic emotion began to cool. "I am cooperating. I said no." 

The chair lifted as he got up to open the door. His hand waved at the exit as he wore the disappointment, "Then you are dismissed Miss Cavanaugh."

She swung her bag over her shoulder and spoke with frigid tone, "Thank you." Her shoes skidded against the floor as she hurriedly left the white room. She rattled the metal handle and slammed the wooden door, consumed by her thoughts. She planned she would have more time in the therapy room to think about what she was going to do, but now it was too late. It was already decided for her. Today was the day.

You know the plan, Ariel. Leave the building and make that girl pay. She deserves it. 

The headaches banged against her skull; they were getting much worse. Heavy, brisk footsteps carried her out of the austere, brick building. The familiar, chilled breeze struck against her covered arms as she walked past her car. The sky was painted black, clouding any potential starlight. Anxiousness began to win her over and suddenly she felt as though she was no longer the one moving her own feet. She blindly reached into her bag for the covered, metal blade and the moment her hand grazed against the handle her eyes widened. "Liera, I can't do this. I can't. I can't. I really ca-"

You don't have a choice. She has stomped on you since the eighth grade. Are you weak? Is that what it is? Don't be a little b*tch, Ariel. 

Ariel had walked farther than she realized. One of the street lamps in front of her flickered and burned out with a buzz. She gave the sidewalk a quick glance to make sure there were no listeners and turned a corner, unaware of her direction. She held her face in her hands, unaware of how far she'd been walking, "This is wrong. It doesn't feel right."

You're almost there, already. This is her street, now.