(Prologue) (1)

Somewhere among the Stars...

Sol   2041

JESPER-III

DIECAST SYSTEM

A loud and obnoxious automatic drilling machine eats through the tough bedrock and stone of a cave system on a remote planetoid.
Alarms constantly sounded off, echoing through the deep tunnels as the machine repeatedly dig through tough stone and soft dirt, having to adjust its speed constantly.

A worker in a hard hat walks around towards the back end of the machine and turns on the monitor to see its progress.

A second person walks up beside them, having to raise their voice to carry over the sound of the machine.

Worker 1: Anything yet!?

Worker 2: No! Just junk! We're bleeding this mine dry!

Worker 1: You'll have to talk to the boss then! She'll know where to move this rig to!

Worker 2: Mikayla doesn't return for another five hours! She's off world!

Worker 1: Why don't we just do it ourselves then!?

Worker 2: Are you insane!? She'll have our heads for that!

The machine lets off a sickly groan noise, then something pops within the motor, causing the spindle to jam to a stop with a loud bang, that resounded across the entire mine, practically deafening everyone inside.

The two workers that had been behind the machine put their hands over their ears, which did little extra protection over their earmuffs.

Once their ears had mostly stopped ringing, the two of them, along with some other curious workers, began very slowly making their way towards the front of the machine, only to see that another cave system had been revealed, and the blades of the cutter had snagged on something very rigid and hard, causing it to short out the circuits.

Worker 4: Damn. The machine's fried.

The two that had been operating the machine earlier turned back to their buddy.

Worker 1: Fried?

Worker 4: The computer systems are all offline. What the hell did you guys hit?

Worker 2: That's what we're trying to figure out.

The three of them trek over to the bladed front of the machine as the others stayed back to watch the monitors for any sudden activity.

As they rounded to the front, they could immediately notice that the front blades were completely mangled and shredded.

Worker 1: What, the hell?

Worker 2: What chews up diamond and titanium blades just like that?

Worker 1: Something real strong. That's for sure.

Worker 3: What kind of material is this stuff?

Worker 2: Let's see if the trusty ol' pick can handle it.