Chapter 21-Things aren't what they seem

I started packing my stuff as soon as I was left alone. I usually did spent my time in the room or with Adrian and Ace. Those were the only two I was close to in this house other than Uncle and Zee. I avoided Enzo at all times and hardly saw Mr. Russo and Carlos. I did chat a few times with Elena. But she always seemed busy with the staff.

It didn't take up much time packing because all I needed to pack were clothes and shoes. I didn't keep anything personal since I knew sooner or later we would move back.

To pass time I turned on my laptop and started watching friends for the hundredth time. I love it so much, to the point that I could recall every single line. It was one of the few shows you could watch over and over without getting bored.

My stomach started growling, so I decided to get a snack from the kitchen. Adrian showed me a secret cupboard where he hid his hidden stash of every type of junk food. I almost cried when he showed me his secret stash. Junk food is very sacred to me. So to experience someone share the same obsession with it as me, made me very happy. Zack always made fun of my fascination with food. I never told him that the actual reason was because I never got to try it at my own house. I was barely fed food and ever since I've gotten away, there's been this underlying fear that I'll be back there one day and I won't be able to ever try it again.

As I made downstairs, I heard raised voices coming from the dining room. I didn't want to seem like I was eavesdropping so I continued on my way and went towards the kitchen. I entered the kitchen but the voices had amplified more. I had forgotten that a door in the kitchen led straight to the dining room.

I tried to ignore it once more and went to get the snacks. I was on my way out but stopped when I realised that one of the people arguing was Tio.

"How could this happen Tony? Do you know how shocked I was when I connected the dots?," I heard Elena ask uncle.

Curiosity filling me, I leaned more towards the door, breathing as quietly as I could.

"El, there was no other option.You would have helped her too if you knew what she faced there. The details I told you don't even cover what that poor girl faced there. When she asked for my help, I couldn't sit still and do nothing."
I thought to myself whether it was me Tio was talking about. But what Elena said confused me.

"But seeing her face does nothing but remind me of her wretched parents. It does nothing but remind me of the day a huge piece of me died. A piece of every single one of us," Elena said with a broken sob. My mind was scrambling.

"You know she's nothing like her parents. I can not even begin to understand how hard it is for you but I know what it's like to lose someone very dear to me. When I look at her, I see the daughter Sienna always wanted."

I flinched back when I realised that it was in fact me they were talking about. But what had my parents done to this family. Did my family know who the Russo's were. My heart started racing. Instead of turning back and leaving I leaned back towards the door and placed my ear on it.

"I don't hate the girl Tony. I would never judge her based on who her parents are. She's sweet and selfless. I could tell that from one look. Hell, she jumped in front of the boys to save them from the bullet. But I can never forget what her parents did. It will be carved in my head and heart till the day I die." What the hell had my parents done that was so bad, it made Elena break down.

"You're like a sister to me El. It hurts me to see you in pain and I'm sorry that it was because of the choice I made. But when that girl called me, I heard it in her voice that I was her only hope. And all I could think about was how Sienna would have killed me for even hesitating for a second."